Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Inconvenient Truth

I have barely a week and two days before the semester comes to an end. So far, I have finished revising three essays for my Non-Fiction and my aim is to completely revise the final one before the day ends. Still, my problems usually lie in the technical aspect and overall coherence of my essays. In this part, I rely on Mami Athena for guidance. Since last semester, she's the babaylan who reads (and revises) my portfolio before submitting it to my professor.

This morning, I went to a computer store to do a canvass of computer hardware for my ambitious desktop upgrade. This store was the one responsible for my last major upgrade and since they were already familiar with my specifications, I thought things would be more convenient if I let them provide for the components that I needed. Unfortunately, my contact in that store had already resigned. In his place is a female rookie who I am not comfortable in dealing with yet.

So I took the necessary precautions to tap a former associate who is familiar with my specifications. Fortunately he still remembers our previous dealings.

When my business with a former contact was finally agreed upon. I told him that I would call next week to finalize the upgrade. Since Ms. Account Officer was still calling her contacts for the best components for my hardware upgrade, I left her my contact details so she could just inform me of the price and specs for my needs later. Knowing that choosing her as my option would be more expensive, her role would be limited to being a last minute back-up. Besides, they don't install operating systems and that would be my biggest problem after I closed the deal with them.

On my way to the office, I did a mental calculation of my expenses in the coming months. Despite the traffic along Shaw Boulevard, the results of my projections left my mind hopping from one possible conclusion to the next. The budget is all set, however, the long-term payments may leave me short of cash after every payday.

You see, the price of an upgrade which includes the brand new (and high end) processor with the motherboard may very well reach over my P10,000 budget. It does not include the extra 1 GB memory, the high-end video card, the reformatting expense of my computer and the purchase of Sims 2: Bon Voyage CD.

Truth is, the last expense above is the reason why I am compelled to upgrade my computer. In order to play Sims 2 without any time-delays, I would need a very powerful computer to compensate for its resource hoarding features. If my thrust is for academics or music, I won't put so much premium on replacing the core components of my computer. A simple reformatting would be enough.

Fortunately, I could spare a card to provide for this massive desktop overhaul. As I have said, this would be my reward for achieving many things this season. However, when I think of the other expenses that would add up after the upgrade is complete, the odds of effectively managing my finances would prove quite difficult to foresee. I did not consider the fact that I would have to enroll for my master's next semester. I am also expecting to receive my first billing from the gym this October.

Therefore, I conclude that this is indeed a Pyrrhic victory. The upgraded computer would be my ultimate prize, but the dent it will do to my finances would leave me vulnerable until next year. If only I am not this conscious about my spending, this issue would never come up at all.

Since I do not want to give up the perks that I am already enjoying, the only path left for me is to increase my work output or find an extra raket which could provide me with an extra moolah.

Computer.Games.Sims 2

Such is the price for my so-called passion.

---

Gigabyte board Intel G33 DDr2 PCIE;
Intel Core 2 Duo 2 ghz;
1 gb memory interface;
NVdia Gforce 7600 gpu pci;

Total, P22,000


No way Jose.

No comments: