Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Light Side Of Mugen

Let us talk about kababawan for a change.

(I)

Lately, I noticed that before I go to sleep, I make sure to set the TV on a cartoon channel instead of my usual CNN or National Geographic habit. Two nights ago, I slept very late because I was so absorbed watching a double episode of South Park at Jack TV that I forgot that I have work later that morning. I do not remember what episodes were aired, but I had a good laugh before falling asleep.

Last night the same thing happened again. I came home drunk after attending Dodong's birthday party. I turned on the TV while taking off my clothes then I stumbled on a rare episode of As Told By Ginger at Nickolodeon. For those who are not familiar with ATBG, it is an animated series that focuses on Ginger Foutley's adventures at Lucky Jr. High. Each episode is presented in a style as if it was being written in her diary. What is so fascinating about this series is that despite its teenage appeal (Think of Degrassi or Laguna Beach, though I haven't seen a single episode of these sitcoms), ABTG has depth and certain character that I could appreciate. It is as if every episode has a subliminal moral lesson embedded on it. If Spongebob is pure laugh trip, As Told By Ginger is the exact opposite. Many times the cartoon inspired me to create a sim family in Sims 2 based from the characters in this series.

So far I have not succeeded yet.

Nevertheless, I consider ABTG as one of the cartoons I wouldn't mind watching over and over again.

(II)

After two weeks of speculating what really happened to Britney Spears at the VMA Music Awards, I finally saw the awards re-telecast at MTV last weekend. So ganun pala siya, Britney was obviously drunk and wasted when she opened the awards night with the song Gimme More. And it was true, she did nothing except walk from one end of the stage to the other, bend over a little to expose her big but, and then do an unexpected dance routine, that the back-up dancers seem not familiar with. I think the reason why so many people were disappointed with her performance was because it was so sensationalized as her "comeback performance" only to witness a Britney Spears who was nagkakalat.

Good thing she didn't passed out while doing the performance.

Anyhow, for some reasons, why do I feel that after this devastating blow to her career, she would end up becoming a more popular celebrity in the end? The song Gimme More was indeed catchy (I still have to dance the song at Government/BED though) and the Britney-spearian faggies in G4M were claiming that her new album is full of trance-house tracks. If that's true, then I guess we have a new Madonna (Confessions On A Dance Floor) in the making.

Which reminds me of another thing; During the 80's Madonna was on the rampage. She was the material girl who experimented with everything that is decadent. Who knows, Britney might be simply doing the same thing. Looking at Madonna before and now, then there is hope for Britney. Nasty girls who become reformed later in their lives do succeed in show business.

In the future, Britney might even outshine Christina Aguilera, Rihanna and Gwen Stefani in the end.

(III)

During the workshop of my Autobiographical essay Trinoma, a classmate suggested that I should drop the part where I was watching Shrek 3 alone and was laughing out loud as Snow White did the cute singing scene preceding the raging animal call. For my part, I do not really see the relevance of putting it, except that it was the lightest moment on my rather heavy and sad essay. However, J. Neil protested. He said that despite my paminta image, it showed how kikay I could get when faced with such situations.

I never expected his remarks. Nevertheless I was fascinated at how he read what might be inside me. Looking back, I remember Mami Athena suggesting that I might be keeping a feminine persona inside my masculine outer shell. I tried to defend myself by explaining how it was possible when its natural for me to act masculine. Mami said that it might be just a show-off on my part. I countered her by saying that it's because of the environment. After all, I grew up with koboy straight guys during my later formative years.

Anyhow it doesn't matter really. In fact, I sense a liberating feeling knowing that I am beginning to acknowledge my two-spirit personhood. Imagine a brute keeping a feminine/esoteric soul. That might be something rare in the PLU world.

Astig yun ah.

No comments: