Sunday, May 11, 2008

Gay Marriage


Aren't they sweet?

You can see in their faces how happy they are. Never in my three years as a colleague did I see Ms. Macaldo beaming a smile like the one she gave, while snapshots were being taken during the reception. As for Mr. Pery's luscious, red lips - the same kissable lips that had cast a spell on several attractive girls in the morning shift - will be for Ms. Macaldo's private enjoyment from now on.

Strange, but no one at work was aware that a wedding took place. It wasn't announced by the HR Department, which has always been considered the source of information in the office. The last time I saw Ms. Macaldo was yesterday, she was still a he and was wearing a green striped polo and jeans that he might had bought from some Ukay-Ukay store at the Fort. He was seated on one of the workstations busy working on for his day's quota. As for Mr. Pery, I saw him smoking in the parking lot this afternoon. When confronted about the wedding picture, he insisted that he is still the same cool lover boy, no matter what the evidence had shown.

Wait... If I saw Ms. Macaldo sporting a barber's cut and wearing a guy's outfit yesterday and Mr. Pery insisting his innocence this afternoon... OMG! The photo must be the work of some Adobe trickster bent on spreading confusion across the floor. I shouldn't be posting this stolen picture knowing that many people access my blog.

Some might even be acquainted with the two lovebirds above.

The photo might get me into deep trouble.

---

But since the fake wedding picture has already been uploaded, I might use this opportunity to promote Ms. Macaldo's cause.

Dikya, as we fondly call him is a member of the Ladlad Party List. He is known for sending constant updates on email, Friendster or Multiply about the group's activities regardless of the receiver being gay or straight. I do not know of his position in the organization, but it seems like Dikya has strong connections with Danton Remoto. In several occasions, he tried to recruit me to become one of their party members. I declined his invitation out of outing concerns, but I gave my full support for the cause.

Dikya hopes that if Ladlad wins a seat in Congress in 2010, he would be given projects that focus on the improvement of lives of gay men and women in the country. I don't know what these projects are, but knowing how resourceful he is, I'm sure he would come up with activities that would reach out to a wider community.

He might be flamboyant and very effeminate, but hell yeah, Dikya is a person to be admired.

As for Mr. Pery, aside from being mistaken as an undertaker-cum-lover boy, he is one of the top income grosser among my colleagues. He claims to be straight and no one ever dares to question his preference. Life is a party, he will always say to his faithful followers.

Indeed, a party is a flop without his comedic presence.

---

I was laughing alone in my work station, when I found the picture on one of my colleague's Multipy page. I thought it would be a good subject for a spoof entry knowing that everyone has been stealing Pery and Dikya's head pics to attach them on someone else's body pics for ages.

From a harmless and funny Adobe-inspired transformation, I realized the relevance of the photo in the ongoing gay marriage debate that is becoming a national issue in most countries around the globe.

Not in my lifetime will gay marriage be allowed in the Philippines. I have come to terms with that. The issue of religious sensibility will surface; exposes of graft and corruption in high-level branches of the government will always grace the headlines; and Imbestigador-inspired bathouse raids, like the one that was shown last Saturday will always cast gay people in a bad light.

The photo above is just wishful thinking.

But who knows. With people like Dikya working non-stop for the improvement of our welfare.

Maybe... just maybe... in less than a decade, civil partnerships will be granted to gay couples in the country.


No comments: