Friday, March 5, 2010

A Look Into Pre-History





Or it might also be a peek into the future.



"Yes, the gay bar seems to be a dwindling institution, but it is not going to die for as long as there are gay folks around. E ika nga nila, bakit ang mga bading hindi naman nanganganak pero dumarami. Iyan ang oversight ng mga gay bar owners. Akala nila porke may mga bakla sa lipunan, pagkakakitaan nila; tulad na nga ng nabanggit sa post, pricey ang mga drinks, masyado aggressive ang mga dancers o hosto, marumi ang toilet, masyadong intrimitida ang mga managers (tipo bang gusto mong sigawan na, "Leave me alone!"), etc. I've been going to gay bars since heaven knows when, mula pa sa tabi ng Besa boxing arena (Metropolitan theater) sa Liwasang Bonifacio, hanggang sa tabi ng Paco Park, sa "apartment" na malapit sa Espana near UST, and of course, the "institution" 690, hanggang sa Adonis, Gigolo, Mr. World, etc. Walang naiba, nag-deteriorate pa. Marami sa Timog ngayon pero ganun pa rin. Kulang sa marketing savvy ang mga bagong gb operators. Yes, I'm nearing my 70s kaya I cannot be one of those who go to Malate and Ermita for fun. Friends give me referrals for my usual fix. And that's how I get by. They go to my loft where guards dutifully note down the "traffic" of visitors which I indirectly tell my guests lest they are tempted to do unpalatable things (sila rito ang "guests" hahaha!). Syempre, sa edad kong ito, my gay friends are equally tired of going out in groups and have an adventurous night. Don't get me wrong. Life is still a party. Recently, I just attended a private party, literally, where you see those bikini competitions kuno and have a ball. Donate ka lang sa party expenses and "talent fees" sa "contestants." But more on that. Masyadong mahaba na ito."


anonymous reader
meninthephilippines.blogspot.com




7 comments:

Menthos said...

interesting... very interesting...

iurico said...

gawd! A realization that we, too, might be posting an entry like this once we reach 70. Or if we even reach 70...

engel said...

wow, he's in his 70s and he's still active in those scenes.

and i'm 28 and haven't been in one.

=(

blagadag said...

i used to dread these moments when during the later years the final question and answer portion would take place and ask me, "what have you done to your life and the gay community?"

this is the reason why i started building my own house and plan my life.

maybe when the question will be raised I could gracefully quip that "I built a shelter for the poor and abandoned gays in my community."

citybuoy said...

di ko alam kung bakit pero parang pinawisan ako ng malamig.

Yj said...

taray ni lola..... AWARD!

Darc Diarist said...

i don't wanna be 70 and still be in the scene. i wanna grow old with someone...

that or as iurico said, i won't reach 70.

ho hum...