Tuesday, November 22, 2005

#41

Forgive me God but I am just a flirt.

They say opportunities knocks once. But in my case, it has already knocked thrice in just a span of five months in my present job.

The first was Convergys, which I turned down short of being included in the final roster of their new trainees. The second one was West which, with Mami Athena's indirect intervention also ended up in a poof.

The third one came this afternoon. It was a job closer to my desired career track which is in line with Internet Research. It is a very close call and right now, my doors are very much open for them to enter.

---

It all began last week.

One boring morning weekday, I found this ad posted at Pinoyexchange. It was from this company which we would call AMN for now. They were looking for Internet Researchers and from where I came from, it is one of my strongest forte - I spend my whole life hooked up in cyberspace.

In order for them to find more researchers, they have adapted a referral system which ensured that all applicants are well taken cared of. And they did take care of me. Two days after I sent them my resume thru email, the person who referred me started texting me directly.

And last Sunday, she even coached me during the preliminary exams.

Truth is, I thought I was a goner. They made us transcribe phone calls from the US which, as we all BPO guys know, is quite difficult to comprehend especially if the caller speaks a southern accent.

But to my amusement, I passed the exams (with flying colors). Come Monday and they did call me for a final interview which is scheduled today.

---

In fairness, its the kind of job I've been betting on since time immemorial.

I get to work in Makati, become part of a fast-paced BPO company which may ensure a better future for me (compared to my job right now) and lastly, I would belong to an institution with a definite and clear system. It was almost a dream come true...

Except for the fact that I have a very high chances of working in a graveyard shift, which I really try to avoid in favor of my mother and sister.

And Phanks.

The guy who interviewed me is also the trainer. He's definitely a tsinoy, very buff and definitely an eye candy.

I remembered an advice I got from the person who referred me. She said, I should look directly at the interviewer's eyes because it really mattered to him.

Guess what, not only did I look into his eyes, I was imagining him naked in front of me.

---

And my composure, relaxed mood (and tweetums attitude) outrightly secured me a place in their company. Immediately after the interview, they prepared a job proposal for me... The only thing that is missing was my signature.

During the interview, my plan was just to accept a part time job. However, when the interviewer told me that they only accept part timers for the graveyard shift, I suddenly shifted my interest from being a part timer to full timer...
... provided that they would allow me two weeks to wrap things up in my present company.

---

So now, I am weighing my options.
I gave myself until November 30 to think about it, whether I would move on or stay indefinitely in my present company until perhaps I figured out what to do with life.

Of course, moving out now means that I would have to wait another six months again before having another career shift.

What if I find a more ideal working career by the time I am already working there in AMN?

Would I jump ship again like I always do for the past two years of my life?

And the truth is, I feel quite at home now in my present company. In my heart I know, I cannot easily surrender the perks I am enjoying there right now.

Even though my work becomes quite monotonous and boring sometimes.

Perhaps, if Rica Paralejo would seriously fuck the hell out of me before November 30 comes, that would be the sign Im looking for.

I give myself a week to decide whether I would go or I would stay...

Things are volatile right now, and I need a serious guidance on this one.

If ever I would learn something from this another shebang - whether I would take this opportunity or dump it,

one thing is true.

I still can't appreciate staying in one company for more than half a year.

And that's something I should really address, before time and opportunity leaves me.

---

Come see
I swear by now I'm playing time against my troubles, oh
Oh, I'm coming slow but speeding...
Do you wish a dance while I'm in the front?
My play on time is won
Oh, but the difficulty is coming here...
- Dave Matthews Band, #41

No comments: