Saturday, November 26, 2005

Queen For A Night (Ending)

I should have brought my own camera at the party...

Arj and I met at G4 before going to BED to attend the opening. We were joined by Bench, who was invited by Arj to attend the opening in case I couldn't make it, and since he could bring two guests in.

The contingent was set later that evening and since we have to be at the launching by 10:30, we just decided to make a short appearance to the boys before leaving Glorietta as soon as possible.
At around 11 pm, we arrived at Malate. Upon entering the Orosa Courtyard, here's what greeted the three of us.

To be honest, I was quite impressed by their preparation for this launching party. Indeed, we would be treated like VIPs in this event.

Unfortunately, the three of us arrived too early for the opening. When we got into the ticket booth, the music - club music wasn't even playing yet. Doc Tony, the official photographer of BED has just arrived as well.

Since we would appear awkward to the organizers of the party - for being an early bird in an event which demands for being fashionably late, we decided to chill out in the nearby Rainbow

Project Bar while waiting for the other guests to arrive.

---

At this point, I was already not feeling well.

For the past two nights, Phanks slept over my place to write his report. Since I am the host, I was obliged to look after him regularly, while taking a nap in regular intervals to compensate for my duty the following morning.

Those sleepless nights took its toll last night. After drinking a bottle of San Mig Light at the Rainbow Project, I was already dizzy.

Fortunately, Bench asked the two of us if we could return to the party.

Both us agreed.

So after consuming a bottle of beer each, we paid our bill and then we head back to the launching
that was already about to begin.

---

When we got inside, DJ Travis was already spinning his tracks.

Since it was an open bar - I took the opportunity to drown myself in alcohol, which on regular nights I wouldn't dare to order.

To be honest with you guys, my mom wouldn't believe me whenever I tell her that most of my night outs were under a P300 budget cieling.

So therefore, during those friday nights I'd go to BED, I just usually pay for my entrance (since it included a complementary beer or other non-alcoholic beverages in the house) and the rest would go to the cab fare when its time to go home.

With those under-budget gimmicks, I never tried buying myself a drink. After all, I find spending a hundred bucks for mixed cocktail too painful for my wallet (even though I could buy one any moment I wanted).

---

Anyways, Arj ordered for me an Absolut Sprite. As the three of us drank our beverages, we went to the pica-pica table to sample the finger foods they prepared for the guests.

In fairness to the caterer, the food was actually fabulous. In fact, it gave me an idea to prepare the same set of dishes if ever I'd celebrate my birthday someday. (And I'll make sure that for a change, it would be fabulous... since I never really celebrated my birthdays.)

After sampling the finger foods, we returned back to the bar so that Arj and Bench could have a chat. By this time, I was already not feeling very well: My head was aching, my throat was burning and everything seems to swirl like I am almost at the brink of passing out.

I tried ordering an Iced Tea in hopes that a sugar rush could turn things around. However, I remembered that the reason why my throat got inflammed seriously, which lead to a week's confinement in the hospital was because of taking too much sweets while my throat was already aching.

So while I was deciding what alcohol to drink, I looked around and noticed that most of the people around me were seemingly high-end folks. In an attempt to blend in (and since I was already under the influence of alcohol this time), I asked the bartender for a glass of Red Wine since they serve those drinks in a fancy (and soshalen) Champagne Flute.

After I got my wine, I went around to make it appear that I was socializing, even though I wasn't talking to anyone. When I finally got to the spot where Arj and Bench were chatting, their first reaction was more of an amusement. If I could remember it correctly, Bench remarked that
"I was trying to be sosyal," while Arj guided my hands since I was holding the glass in a wrong way.

I'm not really sure what happened afterwards, but I decided to go out... and to my surprise I was welcomed by two dragons dancing while a bunch of Chinese drummers in red were pounding their musical instruments like as if they were driving some bad spirits around the area.

And it indeed drove away the spirit of alcohol that took over me.

---

I immediately went to the nearest vendor to buy several sticks of cigarette. When I got back at Bed, the Dancing Dragons were already performing at the dance floor.

Indeed, they were driving out the bad luck from the place. There and then, I've realized that the place was controlled by Chinese - based on the traditions they have chosen. For the first time, I figured out that the reason why we were required to wear red is to attract good (gay) fortune to the newly reopened and expanded BED.

And you know what, for a moment there I kinda feel proud of the place where I hanged out for the longest time in my Gay life. Of course, Mint and Mister Piggy's has their own character. But last night, I got a glimpse of what the new BED has to offer. It seems like they would entice back the old crowd, which they claimed, have been taken from them by their counterpart bar in Makati.

It was actually their main reason for expanding in the first place.

The two dragons performed a rather impressive dance. They were even accompanied by a mascot with a bald and big head. The crowd were amazed as these three characters moved around the dance floor, jumping and kicking... and even chasing each other like three people in a threesome scenario.

Fifteen minutes before 1 am. Their performance was over. The DJ took over the music once again, while the attendants moved over to clean the confettis that littered the dance floor.

Once again, the gays took over. DJ Travis even played a remixed, and danceable version of Hale's The Day You Said Goodnight, which I really find awesome and catchy.

Finally, I heard a local house track that I can be proud of.

---

However like what I've said previously, I was never in a condition to party last night. I was at the last straw of my remaining energies.

Realizing that no matter how I try to heat up for the dance floor, I would just end up feeling weaker. So by 1 am, I told Arj and Bench that I would be leaving. I guess, spending two hours being a queen would be enough for me to reconsider my interest of returning back to the place I called home.

While I was at the chilling area on the second floor, I noticed that the crowd was considerably bigger than the last time I was there - which is actually a good omen. However, they have to really do something about the strobelights since I find them quite annoying, instead of inspiring for dancers to move into the middle of the massive yet kinda bland dance floor.

Lastly, I noticed that there are more people socializing ever since the renovation made the place much bigger. Now my main challenge would be to learn how to dance in a much bigger area and with a lot fewer dancers.

Nevertheless, the revelry last night was quite inspiring. I'm glad that I gave BED a second chance to prove that it's 300 buck entrance fee is all worth it..

photos courtesy of Doc Tony @
www.doctony.net

No comments: