Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Bunny Interludes Thirteen

October came and for a time, I thought the chasing was over. After the beginning of sembreak, everything became relaxed in my strict routine. It started with the foods that I'm eating, then suddenly, my sleeping habits also changed. Instead of going straight awake from 6 am to 12 midnight with several power naps at work everyday, I found comfort having a 3-hour sleeping time when I came home from my job. Lastly, after I declared a truce during the first week of October, surprisingly, I also stopped logging at G4M as well. These chain of events snowballed into a brief suspension of all gym activities for two weeks. And the resulting slow pace of things were evident not only in my attendance at the gym, but also it had an effect on my body.

The pounds I lost returned in just a short span of time.

But old habits are hard to die. It seems like my enduring presence at that gym, (which at present spans for ten months already) had made my body and mind long for work outs when I have rested for too long. Eventually, the strong fear of loosing everything and becoming overweight once again overrules my thoughts of quitting.

And so the work-out resumed, just as my G4M activities renewed another cycle.

---

People come and go to the gym. Some enroll for a month only to quit halfway before their membership expires. Others last for a quarter - closing their final work-out days with having definite results on their bodies. There are some, who would give you irrelevant tips after they felt that there are changes in their bodies - after doing a silly two-week non-stop work out. Believe me, these annoying guys are the first ones to quit. Those who have the most perfect bodies are the ones who lasted for more than a year. These guys would never bother you unless you sought their advice.

As for my own objectives, it appears like I wouldn't make the 160th pound mark before the year ends. It seems like I would have to continue pumping iron forever just to achieve my ideal weight. Too bad... my friend who once proudly told me last February that I will never have a flat abs in my lifetime would never be there to eat his proclamation. He is bound to leave very soon. So is the friend who poured all his support and encouragement when I was just starting. He will never be there to share my victory now that he had famously declared that "we have outgrown each other." He broke the ties that bind our friendship together.

Thus, it leaves my blog as the silent witness to all the hardships and battles I fought just to keep my built in line with my objectives. I remembered someone saying that the gym is the homo's temple. He may be right in many ways, for the homo looks up to everything that is masculine. I keep on fighting this never-ending Jihad to emancipate myself from such mindset. I feel that the more I get to control my body, the lesser I depended on the masculinity and confidence of others.


---

I have accepted the fact that it would still take months - maybe years just to achieve the magic 160. I met several people who asked me why aim for weightloss when I could easily switch into full-scale bodybuilding. At first, I was silent, humbly listening to their suggestions. But lately, I figured out that although I'm chasing the bunnies like forever, not all is lost when it comes to body building which the instructors suggested that I focus on.

It turns out that despite my focus on cardio and abdominals. My whole weight loss program is designed to complement a certain degree of bodybuilding into the program. I may not lift heavy weights during my work out, but in time the weights I could lift becomes heavier and heavier. Indirectly, those lifting has an effect on my body just the same.

Twice I posted the pictures of guys which I wanted to become many entries ago. Who would have thought that after many years of attempting, I would eventually become closer to the guy I used to oogle before.

I keep this picture as the wallpaper of my cellphone to remind myself to keep on following my dreams. How much more will I achieve, if I would last another year chasing the hard to get bunnies.


Probably I would get a real abs perhaps.

No comments: