Monday, November 20, 2006

The Tabloid That Would Never Die

The take-over of our former newspaper is in full swing. This coming December, they will add more smutty pages in the tabloid - from a mere 8 to a full twelve. I've also heard that my dad's former mistress and mortal enemy would join their boat and share her experience running that newspaper a very long time ago, when my father is still the ruler of his own big world.

She said at first, she felt ashamed having a new part on the paper once again. After all, it is a source of nightmare for her as well, which I would tell in another story. But since, the positive reports are pouring in, she eventually accepted the invitation from its "board" to join the "editorial team" again.

Because it is fast becoming a profitable venture already.

And now that the national elections is just around the corner, things would be much prosperous for its ringleaders once the candidates seek their PR services in behalf of the newspaper.

---

If there is someone in the family who is heavily affected by such developments, it is my father's sister, who really never got out of the hole ever since we closed the business. But she is trying I tell you. If not for her pain-in-ass son who stopped going to fourth year high school five years ago - which is the number one contributor of heartaches and depressions to my dad's sibling, I would have divested more money to her little businesses to raise her living conditions and put her in a better state.

But really, would there be an investor willing to risk putting his investments in an uncertain basket? Maybe the suicidal ones perhaps.

---

You see, the last time we talked, one could feel the hurt and the pain every time she utters a word regarding our former newspaper business. She said that it felt like having a drying wound, not a peklat, which all of a sudden was wounded again by the very same people who caused the sugat. I also felt that way... but honestly, before the business closed, I made a wish and that wish kept reminding me not to be too bad about the tabloid's resurrection.

I wished that even though we were long gone, those people who really stood up for the newspaper business would go on, even if it would mean serving under a different owner.

And I think my wish was granted - after three years of waiting for it. Tsk. Lakas ko talaga sa Diyos.

So that's why no matter how it hurts, I just pretend that it doesn't affect me that much. Tutal, I'm working in a new company very far from the nightmares I have been through running that family business. I'm also engaged in some academic endeavor and in doing so, it made me feel that I'm higher than all of them (the ringleaders, editors and writers) combined - even if they are the ones making money.

Lastly, I still believe in Karma. My dad was a very good example of how the Karmic forces work in people's lives. Perhaps someday, if the Creator really finds that there is injustice done to us, maybe he would lift his finger to deliver some divine retribution to those people who "dug out the grave and ressurected the dead using their greedy hands."

That is why I don't want to lift my own mortal finger yet. The legal expenses alone would bleed me to death if I take a passionate stance about it. What matters to me is that we find a way to get out of the responsibilites and connections to that newspaper once and for all. I don't want some obscure creditors knocking at my door demanding payments for services rendered forty eight years ago.

But still, justifying the pain and reason behind that wretched newspaper. In the end, the pain gains the upper hand. Someday, when I get to be a really really good writer or a very popular PLU personality, I would write about such pain and tell the people what I've been through.

After all, I don't know anyone who could carry such a jaded soul like me, in the face of such betrayal happening right before my very own eyes.

No comments: