Monday, November 13, 2006

Chronicles Of A Wannabe Socialite (Epilogue)

Entry written yesterday


I woke up early this morning without any assistance from anyone after having a fascinating dream about zombies chasing me ala Dawn of the Dead (the movie, see this entry for further back story). It was earlier than the usual and the sunrise is unusually promising today.

Since I've been already plugging my other parties later last night to my colleagues. (I've even claimed that I would report to work straight from my other parties) I decided to wear my party get-up last night. Tutal, sa tinagal-tagal kong nagwowork sa company, they rarely see me wearing something else aside from my pambahay shorts, rugged t-shirt, black socks and my blue Cartimar-based flip flops. Kunyare straight from the party talaga kahit na may 3 hours sleep pa akong nabawi sa bahay.

I hailed a cab instead of waiting for a jeep or an FX (which always takes forever to arrive, that's why I'm always late at work) as an added effect to my make-believe fairytale. Unfortunately, I arrived too early for work, so nobody among my colleagues was often smoke in the parking area before the shift begins saw me.

---

Because of our colleague's party yesterday, almost half of my officemates were absent or late. The teamleaders were nowhere to be found as well so things were a little disorganized during the first 30 minutes after our shift had started. Good thing, the team leader from the graveyard shift hasn't left yet so at least, he put some order to our already chaotic workday.

Things were almost normal until a flood of text messages came from one of our accounts, which turns out to have no operator reporting today. If there is such a term as code red in the company where I work, I consider this morning one of those days. With half of our manpower strength unavailable, two team leaders missing in action and a continuous flow of messages surging from most of our accounts, panic should have ensued if one of my colleagues didn't inform me about the situation.

Acting in my capacity as a pioneer operator, I assisted the night-shift team leader in delegating some of the work to those who doesn't have an extra account yet. At least we have found a solution to our problem long enough until our team leader finally arrived.

---

Anyway since we were really lacking in manpower during the first four hours of our shift, I had no choice but to take another heavy account instead of focusing on just one - which I handled alone today. After our boss found out that many of my colleagues decided not to report for work, he insisted that those who were absent must report for work, or else they would recieve a memo directly from him.

That threat compelled half of those absent operators to go to work even if they would just get a half-day pay. The operations ran smoothly after 9 am. Fortunately, I didn't embarked on my fourth party last night or else, I might recieve a disciplinary action for sleeping or messing up the conversations between the operators and the texters. Although I took a 10 minute power nap (which my TL who was seated behind my chair didn't find out), it was enough to last me an entire shift.

It turns out the boss was monitoring my lag time in the account which I handled alone. When he arrived at the office, he commended me for having a very short lag time, despite having huge work load. I just smiled and said thank you. At the back of my mind. I told myself that I'm just fulfilling a promise that the big boss personally asked me last night. Besides the least thing I would like to happen is to make its project head get embarassed because of my irresponsibility especially if the project head is none other than Mami Athena.

---

The final two hours of the shift seems like an enternity. Having exhausted all my remaining creative energies attending texters seeking answers about the future of their lovelives and on the other hand, flirting with some lonely guy or girl in another account. Restlessness and boredom begins to sink in.

My mind tells me that I should unleash my repressed rebel side immediately after a gruelling work. But the thought of sleep... and a long deserved day-off prevented me from loosing my sanity. Fortunately, a group of my colleagues would take the same transpo going my way so I decided to join them instead of having a convenient solo-flight FX ride going home.

---

There are several key relevant factors why today is something unusual compared to the normal days I report to work. Aside from having this day as one of the very rare workdays I don't get late, this is the only time I wore a decent get-up going to my job after so many months of following my same old boring "uniform," which even the boss is already used to.

Some of my colleagues are also beginning to see my relevance when the team leaders are not around. I noticed that I am already doing some of the trainor's job (whose position is still vacant). Being familiar with almost all of our accounts gave me the credibility of assisting new operators when they are transfered to new accounts.

Of course this is the Team Leaders' job, but since their hands are usually full, with so many operators complaining little things to them, they let me assist the other operators when I'm not busy.

The events that happened today at work is a good dry run of what's to come if ever I decide to accept my promotion. Although it would take most of my free time, I believe that with the concern that I'm innately doing for the sake of the company. I think I deserve such job. Nevertheless, I would still have to wait until the classes have started.

When I went home, I lulled myself to sleep writing this entry. In one hour, I was already back to my slumber.

No comments: