Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Freedom Nights (A Repost)

To Rico, for all the party nights we used to rule the ledges of Mint and Mister Piggy's. May the memory of our naughty youths live on, so we may never forget the lessons it taught us.

---

It was a Saturday midnight, like tonight. Wearing my best club gear and the libido of the youth burning inside me, I lock the door of our apartment. Walking towards the unlit streets of Project 6, my mind seems to travel elsewhere. "The night is still young," I told myself. "Since I haven't had sex in over a week, why not attempt to find a partner in Malate on a cold lonely night like this? "

Walking past Visayas Avenue and towards the great Circle, I stand where the callboys often stand while waiting for their horny clients. At the horizon, eyes were turning towards me. It seems like they have sensed me. They felt my urges and understood my calling. Too bad, no matter how tempting they are, I have my own calling. Like them, my adventure is waiting for me, somewhere far beyond. The full moon rises in the east, the sky is clear and some of the brightest stars appear. Despite the bittersweet wind, I would bravely stand against the freezing temperature, while waiting for a cab, or a jeep or whatever form of transport that would take me to the place I called home.

No matter how long it would take or dangerous the streets maybe, what matters is that I arrive there, even if it takes forever.

---

After paying the 100 peso entrance fee, the darkness begins to surround me. Walking proudly among the gym buffs and the beautiful people, I would make my way up to the second floor. Madonna’s Like A Prayer Remix blared from the speakers while discreet stares are given to newcomers like me. Then I would stand against the wall, while carrying a bottle of Red Horse beer. The ledge dancers performs their sexiest dance moves on the platform. Soon, the small space is beginning to get cramped with men who have different reasons for being there. However, since it is dark and very hot, beneath the veil of indifference and apathy towards one another there is a single pulse in everyone that says we offer the night for fun.

Come what may, what's important is I find my one tonight.

At past two, the party starts to rev up. Amidst the shadows, one would see two human forms dancing; their bodies beginning to merge into some sort of temporal singularity; like twisting vines in a garden tended by the wine god himself, while their hands are all over their partner's sweating body.

This is how trade happens at home. Soon, I will eventually find my own partner that will complete my lonely night. Anytime between two house tracks, a guy would come close, who would check me out while dancing to the music. If the guy finds me hormonally interesting, he would attempt to come close hoping that his masculine hormones would get my interest. The same way happens to me: I find a guy cute, I show him my best erotic moves and in a split second

I find myself a partner.

Soon, the closeness would lead to intimacy. Lips locking each other, arms wrapped around bodies desparately needing attention. The more you dance closer, the more you feel the assurance of the person who is in front of you. Depending on how serious or how interested the guy is towards you, the merging you created sometimes turn into a bond... that lasts for months.

Yet in most occassion, such merging wouldn't last an hour. After several house tracks, passionate kisses and blantant make outs somewhere at a dark corner, You find your self alone and starting the cycle all over again.

---

Sometimes, the cycle gets too tiring that there are times I wondered if the exchanging of dance partners will ever end.

---

I guess this is the way with single people. They sometimes find temporal companionship in a night's dance of ecstasy. As the music gets wilder, the more you are tempted to display your affection to anyone who catches your drift. The more you move your body in a way that attracts everyone, the higher the chances you end up with someone.

Some nights, the party extends until late morning, when one wakes up in someone's bed. It happens to those who are physically gifted. But for someone who is as ordinary as me, moments like those are remembered for eternity. Who would ever forget the wildest hell-on-earth episode? What about the infamous bout with mamasang, who turned out to be a regular fixture in Epitome today? Who would forget that I found my first lover, out of someone I had... in a motel?

Those were the wild days. And in some bittersweet nights like tonight, I still remember them. Several years have passed. After having a brief reminder from time to time of an orgasm exploded in some sticky dark-room floor, or some mouths if things get really nasty... After hearing some familiar tune on your mp3 player reminding you of some of the songs you once danced in those wicked dancefloors. And after seeing two guys merge into one, as they danced the night in some other dance floor when you go to a club at present,

You realize that things you have mastered before, will eventually come to pass.

And when some close friend tells you things about validation in life... which we sometimes realize when we are alone with strangers in the dancefloor, in your mind, the thoughts of two male figures dancing in the shadows suddenly tells you that not long ago,

It was I who used to be validating my life, by dancing in the shadows.

No comments: