Friday, June 8, 2007

A Wedding In Makati

Day-off was spent sleeping during the entire morning, exchanging dick pics with a flirt mate in the afternoon (he dared me to take an "artistic" shot of batutuy in his full glory), and accompanying my mom to a wedding of a co-teacher's daughter before the day ends.

She picked me up across the street at past 3 pm. Together with her two other co-teachers that served us our entourage, we raced towards Makati since the wedding takes place in a church somewhere in Guadalupe. To avoid the traffic, I suggested that we take a route that would take us in the back streets of San Juan and Mandaluyong. Being familiar with this best-kept secret roads, I knew that we would get there at half the time it would take us, if we drive through the conventional routes.

Along the way, I decided to drop by the office to return Mami Athena's change from a yesterday's business. Although she said that it was fine to return her change next week, my instincts simply made me feel uncomfortable keeping someone's change especially if I can return it on the day I promised her the money.

When she received it, Mami made a suplada-face and told me that I'm a very obsessive-compulsive kid. I just smiled and left as soon as I have arrived.

When we reached the church, our first thoughts were if we arrived at the right wedding. Since the bride's mother was unavailable (and no one among my mother or her co-teachers bothered to ask for an invitation), we took our chances and decided to go inside hoping that we would not be greeted by the wrong company.

Fortunately, it was the right wedding and the moment I seated my mom in one of the pews, I immediately went outside to enjoy the stunning view.

Perched on a hill overlooking the suburbs of Mandaluyong and Rockwell Center in Makati, the church was impressive despite the slums that surrounded it. According to the building marker, it is one of the first churches in Makati - even preceding the Fil-Am War, in which it suffered significant damage from a battle. Because the view was so amazing, I decided to sit on one of the church's steps while hearing the homily.

After all, I have no business being in a wedding. I could never marry in this lifetime.

In fairness to the priest, he was funny, interactive and his sermon made sense. He made side comments to the couple, who apparently were just chit-chatting while the priest was doing his homily. His sermon, which emphasized the value of love in the relationship, reminded the couple that there are many trials ahead. In those trials that they will face, it's not the vow that would keep them intact, it is their love that would see through everything.

"The fruits of a happy marriage are so many," according to the priest. "But its up to the newly-weds to reap them for their own benefits."

For a moment, while listening to the priest's sermon as the gentle wind touches my weary face, I felt a sense of hope for the couple. Even if the rest of the wedding ritual was full of crap - especially the you-may-kiss-the-bride part - which honestly, horrified me most, I knew how special this day was for them.

I just hope that in the years to come, they will never forget that they made a lifetime union today.

After the homily, I returned to the pews to check my mom. Suddenly I saw this uber-skinny lady that looks like a curly-haired hybrid of Vicky Belo and a chinita ramp model you often see glazing the front covers of a local fashion magazine. She was chatting with a friend and the moment our eyes met, I decided to stay behind my mom's chair - where she was seated, just to gaze on her everlasting beauty.

During the rest of the service, all I did was glance at her. I knew she felt it because she was returning my glances whenever I looked at her. My looks wasn't out of envy (I never dreamed of becoming that girl), it would most likely because I was drawn to her gorgeousness - her flawless fair skin, her chinita looks, her petite way of carrying herself. She was a goddess I'd never think twice of worshipping, if ever I caught her attention.

Unfortunately, I am a torpe guy and I know that in every glances I did, I just reinforced to myself how looser I am when it comes to ladies.

So I just contented myself telling Mami Athena how a girl was awakening my lesbian tendencies. When she didn't respond to my sms (perhaps out of annoyance because of my preference-confusion moments again,) I decided to position my camera, hoping to take some stolen shots of her. But up to the last minute of the wedding service, I could not get a good pose of her.

My hand was simply shaking whenever I attempted to take a shot, right at the very moment I knew she would reveal her angelic face to me.

---

-tobecontinued-

No comments: