Friday, April 13, 2007

Date With A Night

Other people will call it a "date," according to their own definition. But I would be strict with mine - it was a "hang-out."

Finally, after a week of planning and missed opportunities, P-Man and I went out to watch a movie and have a dinner yesterday. It was a promise fulfilled after I told him one afternoon that I'm gonna treat him after my school projects have all been completed.

I was supposed to go to UP Diliman after work to check if my class cards were already available. Before that, I texted P-Man 30 minutes before my shift ended for his availability. There was no response. He might be sleeping.

Anyway, when I arrived at Starmall, my phone vibrated. When I checked it for text messages, I found one and it was from him. He apologized for not replying immediately, after all, he just woke up. I replied that he should just take a rest and enjoy his day off.

He texted back asking where I was. I told him that I'm at the mall and was supposed to board the MRT going to Diliman for school. I also mentioned that I was planning to ask him out, if he's not busy. I sent the message and waited for his reply.

A couple of minutes later, he texted that he would think about it.

The entire negotiation took thirty minutes before it was finalized. His main issues were; he had no money. (this is understandable. After all, I told him that it will be my treat) And he usually hangs out only at the mall, namely Glorietta and Greenhills. (no way he would frolic among the trees of Diliman or bask in the sunset of baywalk. In my book, this is bad. My type of trip is something he's not into.) Nevertheless, the hang-out pushed through despite an hour and a half delay.

We met outside Powerbooks. As expected, he was wearing his trademark black T-shirt, cream-colored walking pants and his baggy-green cap . The only thing missing was his shades to conceal his small eyes. You know, one thing that I really find attractive about him is his ability to project an aura of being maangas. I think the shades did the trick. He rarely spoke too, and being a loner just like me, I preferred walking with him after our shift ended.

Anyway, we immediately went to the cinemas to check what movie to watch. I thought he would choose Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Sunshine, but instead he chose Ang Cute Ng Ina Mo. We then went to Starbucks at the Megastrip to chill out as we waited for the screening time. The place was packed with people so we didn't stay long.

After smoking a stick of cigarette, we returned to the cinema to watch the movie. It was fun, Ai-ai was hilarious. Eugene Domingo and John Lapuz made me roll over my chair and Lucky Manzano reminded me why I should return to gym soon. The film also reminded me of Ai-ai's previous movie, Ang Tanging Ina Mo, in a twisted, alternate-universesy sense of it. It seems like he enjoyed the film as well, but I was somewhat disturbed by his constant focus on his phone. Apparently, he was texting someone. I think P-Man still needs to work his conduct when with another person.

When the film ended, I suggested that we should eat our dinner. Being the host, I asked him where to eat. At first, I thought he would choose a high-end restaurant, like Sbarro or Pollo Loco, (knowing that he hangs-out in Glorietta, well, that's a little scary) but instead, he just wanted to have burger. He told me that it was his favorite food. Knowing Ortigas very well, I know a place where we can dine in without the hassle of being exposed to many people.

So went to Mcdonald's El Pueblo after I discovered several weeks ago that it wasn't as full as the restaurants in Megamall. As we walked towards Mcdo, I can't help but notice how P-man repeatedly sang the movie's theme song. "Ang cute cute, cute ng ina mo... " as we crossed the street.

"Another case of last song syndrome," I told myself.

He ordered the Mc Chicken Burger Meal, while I picked up the Cheese Burger Meal. Of course, our orders were both upsized knowing that the regular ones won't satisfy our hunger. While eating, we talked about work, our individual lives, and what I noticed about his work ethic. Without the biases, I think he is a very hardworking employee. We avoided talking about us, even during our yosi time when we moved to the tables outside.

We didn't stay long after dinner, since I don't feel well anymore. (Probably because I waited for him for two hours to arrive) I'm also worried that my exhaustion won't allow me to talk anymore so I called it a night at past 8.

As the host, I accompanied him up to the tricycle station across Star Mall. I think he was a little puzzled as to why I would exert an effort to do so... If only he knows that it was already a force of habit. On my way home, he texted me, thanking for the treat. When I arrived home, I called his phone just to make sure he's safe.

---

A few nights ago, he texted me at past midnight. He was drunk, wasted and disarmed - to the point of being senti. He told me how restless he was, and that, he was asking when we would do "our thing" again.

I told him that the next time it happens, he will be in for a surprise.

During the entire text exchange, what amazed me was how he tried to open up. You see, P-man is not someone who would show his emotions easily. Like he had always told me again and again. "I'm just a kid at heart." Probably to keep this from everyone, he preferred to lie low and appear casual to everyone.

Our text exchanges ended that night asking me when we will go out. He said he couldn't keep his sadness anymore and he needed a distracton.

And distraction I gave him yesterday.

On my way home after hanging out with him, I asked myself whether there was a justification for such an activity. A part of me says it was normal - knowing how I sometimes hanged out with Roy or XP, or even Dodong like in a date or something like that. I could consider my hang-out with P-Man the same league as them.

However, there was a complication.

P-Man is not just a friend. He was a former ONS partner. Another chance of doing "our thing" with him and he would instantly become my FUBU. But don't get me wrong. To be honest, doing it with him again, somehow falls into the least of my priorities. The attachment that came after proved to be very dangerous. For a moment, It made me somewhat jealous of Redguy's or Jbinx's seemingly uncomplicated life.

Nevertheless, if there was something good that came out of the hang-out, I guess it would be that I found my place in P-Man's life as a friend and companion. If only he knew, that the only thing I look forward to after my duty is to walk with him towards the main road. Even if we're not talking, the bliss it gave is all worth it.

I just hope, that in the long course of P-Man's unforseeable life. He would remember last night and he would remember me. It wasn't easy to call a hang-out, especially if you knew that you will be the host. In his case, I had to become one myself - nobody, outside his immediate family or tropa had done it before to him.

In my own life, first times were really hard to forget. He may never read whatever things I wrote about him in this blog. But one thing is very certain:

No matter what others think, he is already a part of my life. It will never change.

Even if the "hang out" would never happen again.

---

I got a date with the night
burnin down my finger
gonna catch the kids dry
gonna walk on water

- Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Date With A Night

No comments: