Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Post Midnight Afterburner (First Part)

Mag pray ka po kay Lord for guidance. Lagi kitang pinagdadasal
for your health and safety. I love you po. Mwah!

- Message sent 11:45 pm

---

In my sleep, I dreamed that I was in a hospital, watching over my aunt who was scheduled for a major operation the following day. That night, before I said my final goodnight to my buddy, our phone conversation turned into a heated argument. He was ranting about his brothers' alcoholism problem. He whined that he wanted to leave them because their regular verbal clashes turned more violent every time it happened.

However, there is a problem. His older brothers rely on him for support. My buddy is the breadwinner of his family. In case he abandons his siblings, they have nowhere else to go. What turned the situation graver last night was the pakikielam of a drinking companion of his brother. Phanks overheard his brothers' drinking companion cursing him and wishing him dead outside their apartment. This angered my buddy and if it hadn't for his housemate who restrained him, a fight would ensue between them.

I shouted at my buddy when he told me that the moment one of his brothers come home, he would nag at him endlessly for bringing him into conflict with others. I told him that blabbers are useless when making a point. Instead, if he is really serious in leaving and starting over, he must pretend to be cool, unaffected with his brothers' hopeless situation. He needs to put a cordial face while planning his moves to liberate himself from his pain-in-the-ass-brothers.

I think that would be better. It's more clever and cunning rather than engage them with a verbal assault that will only to end in a stalemate.

Before our conversation had ended, (he avoids it when its my turn to nag) I warned him of his plan's consequences. Violence begets violence. If he starts it, certainly others will end it.

He never replied to me. Instead I heard only sobs from him.

---

The sleep continued.

In my dream, I imagined him waiting for one of his brothers to arrive. Like a volcano that was about to explode, he was just waiting for the right moment to deliver his first salvo of molten rocks towards his unsuspecting sibling. Instead, there was a reversion. The moment his sibling arrived, he immediately went ballistic and held my buddy against the wall, cursing him for their miseries. He blamed him for his other brother's decision to leave out of humiliation he felt from my buddy. Obviously his brother was drunk again to do such an aggressive behavior.

Phanks was caught off guard. He was pinned down, scared at the threats and verbal lashes he received from his drunken older brother. Yet in his defiance, he had managed to free himself and push his brother away from him.

His brother stumbled.

Unable to get up, my buddy immediately went to a corner to pick-up a bag stuffed with clothes and other personal belongings. The growing tension at home convinced him to have his things ready in case he needs to leave at a moment's notice. With his mind full of confusion and fear from the death threats he received earlier that night, he left Karutahan with only one specific destination in mind.

A sanctuary he had known for four years already, somewhere in Manila.

---

-tobecontinued-

No comments: