Thursday, November 8, 2007

Blood Allegiance (First Part)

"Kuya ang gwapo mo..."

He suddenly blurted out while we were having our late lunch at Cafe Ten Titas in Gateway Mall. The guy he complemented was Marvin Agustin. I learned that he owns the restaurant and since Reigh (Kiddo's buddy) was with us, they nodded at each other when Marvin noticed him. It turned out that they know each other because they are working in the same industry he is connected with.

This guy who hosted our lunch had just arrived from the Middle East. He has a rounded face, chinky eyes that smile despite his formal approach and a fair skin that rivals those of DK and Kiddo. He spoke rarely, contrary to what his personality is in his blog. Since he and the rest of the gang went out before, I am like a rookie in their group. Nevertheless, as what Davenport said when he met them at Mall Of Asia several weeks ago, it feels like meeting a person for the first time whose a quarter of his life you already know from his writings alone.

And so there we were: Kiddo, Reigh, DK, Gripen, Davenport and Turismoboi. As promised to the host, I would show up despite my busy schedule today. In fact, I had just finished my enrollment in the graduate school which took an entire week to complete. I was planning to go to UST to check whether they are still accepting Freshmen applicants for the next school year after that, it was my schedule to hit the gym for my routinely body maintenance. However, I knew there would be some adjustments. I had to show up and spend longer time with them because of all the friends and groups I am connected with, they are among the first people to know what's happening to me.

They are the silent witness to my so-called life.

It was the host's treat. We ordered two large plates of Adobo Rice, Sisig for Reigh, Humba for Kiddo, Pasta for Turismoboi and finally Shanghai Spring Rolls and Mechado for the rest. I ordered Tropical Chicken because its Chicken Ala King taste lingered for four months after DK brought me there to meet Kiddo for the first time.

"Galit galit muna ha!!" DK announced before gorging his hill-sized serving of Adobo Rice on his plate. But bonded friends would always forgo their hunger in order to hear and share the latest scoops that happened in their lives after their last partings. Blogs are full of juicy stories and hot gossips for they usually contain the innermost feelings of the author. There are also some "encrypted" entries that needed more expounding. Davenport updated us with the recent developments in his love life, while Turismoboi sought our advice about his plans to go to Singapore to seek greener pastures in that tiny country.

Gripen shared his frustrations about his recent losses in the stock market, as well as the postponement of his first solo flight in the pilot academy. I was surprised when CJ mentioned that he offered prayers for his safety. Imagine the bonding of these people. Reigh and Kiddo sat in the opposite edge of the table. Being near the proximity of DK and the host, they had their own conversation. Since CJ was one of the most bubbly guys in the table, he had the attention of those of who were near his proximity.

We talked about boys, his bitchy boss and the apparent acquaintanceship of Davenport to Roy, my bestfriend.

Suddenly, Marvin Agustin arrived and our focus were immediately shifted towards his handsomeness and charming appeal.

Being seated directly opposite this celebrity, I had to turn my head 360 degrees just to have a glimpse of his spotless moreno face. As a younger boy, he was one of the celebrities that I admired. Forget his love team with Jolina - what I liked most about him was his portrayal of Lordino in Super B. I would never forget how he modulated his voice to mimic the sound of an eccentric teenager who was possessed by the divinity in some trivial news clip that popular during my childhood.

He was also Juan in the movie Ang Tanging Ina. Who would ever forget that?

He then went to the kitchen which was located beside our table. Apparently he was doing a thorough inspection of his business. Gripen even joked that he went near us, so I could gaze into his provoking eyes when he gets out. When he got out of the kitchen, instead of me getting a full view of him, Marvin went to our table to exchange pleasantries with one of our companions. Reigh used to be his dance instructor when he became a host of this defunct dance show aired in the local channels several years ago.

When he was introduced to us, the host suddenly said in a loud, direct and manly voice,

"Kuya ang gwapo mo!!"

Not only was Marvin stunned by his admiring remarks, all of us who were seated in the table stopped our chatter in order to pause for that priceless moment and absorb whatever verbal exchange that took place.

From that point, I realized that this lunch meeting was destined to be a moment worthy of treasuring for an entire lifetime.

I swear it will be long remembered.

---

-tobecontinued-

No comments: