Friday, November 16, 2007

Questions Of Integrity

A colleague was terminated yesterday. It had taken effect today, which, unfortunately she only became aware of after the HR called her attention this morning.

Rumors persist that it was because of her habitual tardiness and absences. My other colleagues who shared a row with her said that she would frequently render half-day work resulting to a significant loss in her output. Her absences were a disappointment as well. They said that she's nowhere to be found in times our work was at its most heavy. I haven't tapped the team leaders yet about this recent turn of events. However, her fate had not only shaken the faith of us pioneers of the company,

it had its deepest impact on me.

Despite her infamous reputation for spreading false rumors at the floor, some considered her one of the stalwarts of the company. She may not be likable to many but her ground had always been perceived as strong and unshakable. I personally thought that she won't become a casualty of the ever-changing order being imposed by the company.

But she was purged. It only means that there is a very strong possibility that I might become a casualty as well.

You see, I was suspended last month also because of my habitual tardiness. It was a very humiliating experience especially when you imagine other operators talking about your doom behind your back. I did make some efforts to improve my standing, but I've always felt that it was enough. I am still disappointingly inefficient. This week, my team leader voiced her concern about my absences. Though it still falls within the permissible limit set by the company, the authorities begin to see a pattern, which I am never aware of.

In my defense, I told them that even though I am not in my work station, I still render 8 hours work at home. Of course, it wouldn't matter. An absent is an absent no matter what excuses I tell them.

Which such realities at hand, I don't have any choice but to adopt to the changing policies or suffer the same fate, which my colleague had received yesterday. Before, I thought that my position was secured as long as no one would break my output record in the service account that I am handling. I also thought that the boss was infinitely patient enough to tolerate our delinquencies. Marami kasi ang nakalampas before, so I thought things were still the same.

But it appears that I am very wrong. I should have listened to Mami Athena when, in her motherly wisdom told me that everyone in the company is dispensable - even her and the boss himself. Maybe I should change and follow P-Man's lead, whom despite his ever growing suplado attitude remains my template for a ruthlessly hardworking but uncreative chat operator.

Creativity has its whims, therefore it cannot be trusted.

Today marks the official loss of confidence in my company standing. Even if I do not sense proximal danger, I still feel very vulnerable. My only recourse of action is to push myself to adapt and improve, or I would suffer the same fate like what had befallen my long-time colleague.

No comments: