Friday, November 23, 2007

Flying To The Office

I woke up at around 5:35 this morning. On ordinary days this is the time I usually leave the house to go to work.

However, the enchanting dream I had last night prevented me from waking up on time. Add to the fact that it was freezing cold and the sky was dark, the dawn that greeted me entices me not to get out of bed immediately.

So when I realized that I overslept, I had to rush unless I want to get late again. I had to straighten the sheets in a double-pace fashion; grab the nearest pants and shirt I could find in the closet; and say my goodbyes to my mom in a hushed voice, it's almost like I never uttered a word at all.

I left the house ten minutes before the shift begins. Fortunately, a cab was passing by our street and it stopped in front of me when I hailed it. "Boss sa Shaw - Addition Hills," I told the driver. His only response was a series of muted grunts directed towards the commentator on his car's AM radio.

After countless vehicle overtakes, traffic light beatings and road maneuvers that only a seasoned driver can perform, I arrived in the office three minutes before work begins. Taking advantage of my situation, the cab driver had the free reign to raise the fare twenty pesos more than I usually pay. There was no use haggling or complaining. At least I was able to ride a brand new Toyota Altis on my way to work.

Since everyone is rushing to get to the floor, I had to make a dash from the gate towards the waiting elevator to avoid the scramble of colleagues who were also beating the bundy clock.

I was able to log in at exactly 6 am - twenty minutes after I woke up. Ignoring everyone who greeted me, I went directly to my workstation to turn on my computer before the team leader catches me idling around. Thirty minutes later, I grabbed the facial wash and toothbrush inside my bag. The truth behind my aloof attitude towards my colleagues when I arrived is because

I did not brush my teeth nor washed my face when I left home this morning. In my desire not to incur any tardiness, it became my habit, in dire situations, to start my morning rituals long after the shift had started.

No comments: