Thursday, November 29, 2007

I Is For Imbyerna

It could have been the most fabulous night of the month.

It's pay-day. The party spots of Malate, Makati and Timog had been anticipating a surge of crowd tonight since last week. Tomorrow is a national holiday, so for those who have regular work days, their weekend off is extended by an extra day. Even Government had its Motorola event, which they had been promoting since last month. Everything was gearing up for a fun, fun Thursday,

Until

Senator Grade Trillanes, together with his "patriotic" thugs entered the scene and messed up our rather boring and rainy afternoon.

---

The sentiments among my colleagues was unanimously against Trillanes. Some called him eksenadora, while others complained that with the rising food prices, who in the right mind would rise up to topple the government like he begs the people to do. "He's a very deranged man," my workstation-mate said. No matter what higher reasons, or moral inclinations he would declare as his defense, the people simply isn't interested to heed his call.

We're all tired of politics.

Even the publicly-vindicated Ex-President Estrada distanced himself from the deviant bunch. If only I could read his mind, he would have thought "weather-weather lang yang mga kudetang yan."

Yeah, even the weather today isn't cooperating either.

---

My dear mother was anxious the whole time. Since my sister was watching a nine-hour film in UP and I was still at work, she kept on asking me to call her only to tell me to go home immediately because the political situation was becoming more and more tense.

"Ma, hindi babagsak ang gobyerno. Busy ang sambayanan sa PBB para makisali diyan," I constantly assured her while I was on my way to my next destination. I even caught glances of the passengers who overheard my conversation nod at my statements. I was right. Six pm came, the Manila Pen, together with the rebel boys inside the place was brought down by a teargas but the government did not fall.

As a people, we're not really the suicidal, deranged types. The mutineers surrendered to avoid bloodshed at the posh Manila Pen.

I thought everything was back to normal. I would have readily claimed that the government scored big time today for handling the stand-off without any significant violence. Despite the journalists being detained together with the mutineers, I guess the overall drama that unfolded today raised their respective station's ratings sky-high. A price they have to pay in order to get attention from the ever hungry and telenovela-crazed people of the Philippines. The public was satisfied with the performance as well. After all, rarely do they witness a breaking news story that had happened this afternoon.

You see, no matter how the opposition attempts to bring down the government, they will never succeed in doing so. They should content themselves lambasting the administration and exposing its rotten carcass in legislative hearings. The 2010 elections is just around the corner. Even Senator Mar Roxas is already being groomed by his party to become their standard bearer in that election.

Taking the cue from former President Fidel Ramos, which I read this morning. Ramos said that he only supports GMA because nobody could ever take her place as the President. I have to agree that in terms of economy, she managed to keep the Republic afloat. That little achievement is enough for her to be able to secure her Presidential Seat until the end of her term.

As I have said, I would have given the president and her men a thumbs up for a job well done. However, just before the celebrations began and a sense of normality descends to everyone, a breaking news was relayed to me not just by night-out companion but my mom as well.

"May curfew daw from 12 am to 5 am mamaya ah," my friend said, still panting from running a long distance just to meet me.

"Tanginang gobyerno yan." I mumbled quietly to myself.

The phone rings shortly after.

It was my mom commanding me to head home immediately.

---

Roy: Nakauwi ka na?

Me: Yap. Ikaw?

Roy: Kanina pa. Hehe.

Me: Imbyerna talaga tong gobyerno.

Roy: Imbyerna kamo si Trillanes.

No comments: