Friday, February 6, 2009

The Messenger and The Bench Boy

It is in the happiness of others that I find my own euphoria.

Twitter Entry, 8:45 PM


---

Entering the clothing store, you passed in front of us on your way to the exit. It was past seven in the evening and it is time for your break. Looking at your boyish face, my friend was right. You were infinitely handsome than all the store assistants we found at that Bench branch.

Standing at around 5'7, your semikal hair, fair skin features and high bridged nose are things you should be proud of. You are an absolute head-turner; a demigod one would love to stare at until your store closes for the night. If not for the sacred mission to emancipate a friend from his past heartbreaks, I'd find myself giggling in one corner after leaving me stunned with your shining passing. However, my presence has a lofty purpose. It might be my well-fortified pride on the line, but I'd give up whatever self respect I have for someone who truly deserves to be happy.

You can look at my friend and think of him as a geek. He is lean, he wears eyeglasses and he acts more flamboyant than I do. I would be his Goliath when we are placed next to each other. I would always be seen as his bodyguard whenever we go out together. Despite his frail appearance, I never doubted his ability to win someone's heart. He could win yours if ever you will give him a chance. After all, I think you are straight and you need someone like us to look after you.

So I am laying down my cards in an attempt for the two of you to get to know each other.

It is our second attempt to reach you. The first one failed when we learned that it was your off the day we showed up at your store. We went home empty handed - except for my friend who bought a speaker stand out of frustration. I was determined to succeed in this goal that I laughed after our first slump. I do not know the reasons for helping but I know it would make me complete.

And so we let you take your break while we gathered strength at the nearby Tokyo Cafe. My companion urges me to eat, while he dined on pasta and grilled chicken. He said it was his treat, but I insisted that dinner's waiting at home. I conceded by accepting his Peach Crêpe offering. At the back of my head however, it was you I am thinking of. You should be at my seat dining with him instead of me.

We returned to your store a few minutes later. We saw you carefully folding the loose clothes near the entrance like your life depends on their eye-catching arrangement. My friend ran away the moment he saw you. He was afraid that a stud like you might turn down his friendship.

We sat on one of the benches outside the mall. I had to coddle him until he was convinced that nothing would be lost no matter what the outcome is. What he needed was reassurance, a fall back plan if things would never work. "Ako naman ang magbibigay eh, naroon ka lang para alam niyang hindi galing sa akin yun kung hindi sa iyo," I repeatedly told him. After much prodding, we went back to close our journey. We entered the store with a carefully choreographed steps so we would know where to find each other.

I took a piece of paper from my pocket.

Written in that parchement was my friend's number and a short message offering his hand of friendship. I placed it carefully between my fingers as I roamed around the store waiting for the right timing.

"For all the troubles I've given to those who mattered, I will even out the deal by giving something back in return." I murmered to myself while feeling my chest throb faster.

---

Earlier that evening, I told my friend some instructions as to the things he should do while I perform my quest. It was an easy task really so long as he would not chicken out like what he did during our first attempt:

First is to enter the store together and make sure Bench boy would see us both.

Second is for him to proceed to the men's wear area to look for something to buy. It would distract the other store attendants who knew him stalking Bench boy since last month.

Third is I stay near Bench boy to find something for myself. My friend should never approach me as I attempt to get the golden boy's attention. The goal really is to seek his assistance and win his confidence before I deliver the message.

Finally, we buy something and make sure Bench boy notices my friend's gift bag. It might be our first and last attempt so better show our best than regret our shortcomings when things fail after.

I found my target still folding the loose clothes a few steps away from the exit. I roamed around the store pretending to fit the T-shirts that I would never buy even if my friend offers his credit card to purchase it. The nearest rack from him is where the hair wax, perfumes and other toiletries are displayed. The hair wax is the cheapest product they were selling so I grabbed one and then walked slowly towards his spot.

I tapped Bench boy's back which made him turn his head to assist me. With the confidence I show in dance clubs, I asked him if the hair wax on my hand is the strongest hold they have. Being partially deaf, he did not understand my question. Instead, he sought a colleague to assist with my inquiry. After repeatedly asking the same question, they both nod in affirmation.

Yes, what I have is the strongest hold they got.

What I have in my pocket is the strongest wording of liking only he would get.

Before he could return to folding the loose clothes, I tapped him again to finally deliver the message. Extending my shaking hand to give him the letter, all I could utter was;

"someone wants to be your friend."

He was deaf so he did not understand what I said.

Despite the confusion, Bench Boy took the paper from my hand and read its contents partially exposed between the folds. His face hid its reaction but nevertheless, accepted the letter and inserted it at one of his back pockets.

I returned to my friend who is at the counter paying for the slacks he just bought. We were silent all throughout the ordeal while Mister Bench Boy returned to arranging the shirts on the display rack like nothing ever happened.

Leaving the store, I tapped the Bench Boy for one last time. If only I could tell him what my personal message was:

"He will take care of you, even if it's just friendship you could offer."

He looked at me as I lift my thumb finger for reassurance. He nod in acknowledgement. My friend who was walking in front was not aware of it, but even during our last seconds inside the store, I was trying to sell him to the guy he really likes.

I just hope it wasn't me I mistakenly sold.

We walked towards the atrium to catch our breath. As I turn around to look at Bench Boy, I saw him with his charming eyes aimed at us.

No comments: