Monday, March 10, 2008

The Lives Of The Excessively Rich and Super Decadent | Hibernation

If not for AJ's visit to my blog. I would not find out what this Gucci Gang and their infamous scandal is all about.

The truth is, I've heard about them and their kind many times before. They were not given names by my informant but their activities were so familiar, it didn't give me a jaw-dropping shock anymore when I learned about the scandal through AJ. To give you an idea, these ladies and gentlemen are God's children. They are from very powerful families that control vast swaths of our nation's fortunes. I say that they are from the old rich clans, except that they were never involved in the process of accumulating their family's wealth. Life was too easy for them that they become spoiled the moment they realized that they have nothing else to do with life except to race against one another to the top of the social ladder.

For them, life is a party. Their necessity lies on the fact that they use their influence to further advance their family's connection. So long as they have the money to burn, they spend it on material things average people like us would never imagine ourselves spending our hard-earned cash for.

I remember a classmate in graduate school who had once been connected with these people. It used to be part of her job being in a lifestyle industry to rub elbows with these socialites. She told us that in order to fit in a crowd where everyone knows one another, one must resort to snorting coke and hard drinks to socialize comfortably at a party. She said that coke costs thousands a gram to obtain. For a socialite who attends social gatherings almost every night, it's not unusual for that person to throw 10,000 a night.

I haven't even mentioned what happens after the parties are over. Since sex is not my favorite topic to talk about at the moment, let's just say that its not unusual for a socialite to sleep with someone else's wife or lover or even to join a couple for a night-long menage a' trois. From the impressions people who have told me, it seems like sex for these people is as easy as reciting the letters A, B and C.

Now going back to the Gucci Gang Scandal, a blog was set up by an Aussie expatriate who still has a score to settle with his ex-boyfriend who owes him $70,000. I think the money was spent to run their restaurant business that had recently gone bankrupt. What makes matters worse is that his ex-bf allegedly stole some things from him like his brand-new Tom Ford shades and a pair of Yogi shoes from his hotel room. I am not familiar with these brands, but they do appear to be very valuable for the blogger.

Since his ex-bf is also connected to a younger generation of socialites often seen at Manila's finest party spots, this aussie had also revealed a basket-full of rotten tomatoes exposing the decadent lifestyles of these alta sociedad people. In his words:

"*** dear, charity, charity, charity. Not drugs, drugs, drugs. Why do you think that some people need five mobiles and three watches and six ipods and blah blah blah? No one in your Manila set deserves a 'swag bag' They should all be sent to the provinces with the bags to do an honest days work. Pathetic greedy grubby 'young' society. Selvish collective of everything that is wrong with your country. People are rewarded for being rich and punished for being poor. It truly makes me sick.

You ***, make me sick."
---

There are many other passages implicating these people of their crimes. I am most certain these "God's Children" have already hired the best lawyers and the most gutless hit men to kill this Aussie wherever his nook is. Like AJ, I won't mention names. After all, I'm just a bystander who accidentally stumbled a highly scandalous blog that involves very prominent people. I know, everyone has a nasty secret to hide. But you know what, the more I get exposed to the revelations written on his blog, the more I become sick of everything they do - The coke, the things people do when they get high on cocaine, the sex and the betrayal part, the things they buy when they are out of ideas of how to burn their money. It's like a life going in circles and the more they twist themselves, the more they get distorted.

In my younger days, I dreamed of living a socialite's life even for a week. You know, living in an expensive two-room pad somewhere in Makati, being invited to parties where what everyone does is fill their head with hot air and smoke, and then driving to some far-flung province such as Aurora with my hunky boyfriend holding my hand as I drive my Benz C-Class along the highway.

I once dreamed of a life like that.

But now that I've been aware of how shallow and sick such life could be, I think I'm better off remaining a hermit/domesticated for the rest of my life.

---

Link to the Gucci Scandal Blog.

No comments: