Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Tita Cory

Her husband was brutally assassinated two years after I was born.

And from there she became part of my life, even if such connection remains very distant.

The world hails her as the First Female President in Asia, but as far as I can remember, the only thing that comes to mind whenever I think about her presidency are the numerous coup attempts that almost toppled her leadership.

Who would ever forget, we used to live a walking distance away from Malacanang. It was 2 am in the morning. We heard Machine Gun and Armalite sounds everywhere. Mom was pushing our heads under the bed, as she covered our little bodies with all the pillows she could grab on top of the bed. Dad was nowhere to be found. He must have been hiding somewhere. Remembering those days, I rarely saw him being with us.

The next morning, we were picked up by my mother's sister who was worried about our situation. We stayed in her place somewhere in Paranaque for a week until things have settled down and order was restored.

In those days, everyone who raised the L or Laban sign were considered good guys. But since my late father belonged to the communist underground during her time and my mother had sympathies with those who were against American imperialism, which apparently she openly supported during her presidency, I never felt her as President. Yes, she was there during the two great disasters - the July 1990 earthquake and the 1991 Mt. Pinatubo Eruption. It was during her time where we experienced collective suffering by enduring an 8-hour brownout for almost half a year. It was also the time when Francis Magalona became synonymous with his hit song "Mga Kababayan (ko)."

I was still in elementary when she stepped down as the Pangulo that's why I don't remember much as to what her contributions were during her presidency.

It was later in life I realized her true worth as the leader.

It was in college at the height of the Estrada Impeachment Trial where our lives crossed paths. There was a rally in the Senate, and by reenacting the Jericho March, which toppled the walls of Jericho during biblical times, the organizers hoped that by peacefully marching around the senate will the senators be awaken to the true voice of the people.

She was there walking among us.

I do not remember much, but I saw myself approaching to shake her hand. Her bodyguards did not force me away, since probably, they felt I was just a student overwhelmed by her gracious presence. I swear, her yellow blazer was a symbol of radiance in that hot January afternoon. She said some words of affection after I shook her hands. I don't remember them anymore but our brief meeting had made me decide to join the rallies, until Estrada was forced out of office a month after our so-called Jericho March.

After the new president took office, I never joined any civil disobedience activities again.

---

Our mother had suffered from an episode of high blood pressure and difficulty in breathing followed by fever during the week in between Christmas and New Year. Since that time, we became concerned because of her consistent cough, loss of appetite and noticeable weight loss,” she said.

"Our mom wanted to know what was wrong with her, and with her family by her side, she submitted herself to a check-up and several tests. The results showed that our mother is suffering cancer of the colon," she added.

The Aquino family statement said it was the former president who wanted her condition made public because she “has always believed in being upfront. Over and above anything else, she's a woman who has lived her entire life entrusting everything to the Lord, and she has always been a woman of great faith.”

“Alam po namin na ang buhay ng aming pamilya ay bahagi na ng kasaysayan ng ating bayan. Desisyon po ng nanay namin na mag-release kami ng statement, para maunawaan ng lahat ang kanyang kasalukuyang kalagayan [We know that the life of our family is part of the history of our nation. Our mother has decided to have a statement released so that everyone will understand her present condition],” it added.

- Inq7.net

---

The news came as a shock yesterday because for some reasons, I felt that a part of me is moved by her children's gloomy announcement.

It's like having an epic heroine you see all the time on television, a Mon Mothma of modern times suddenly capitulating due to failing health. Others hail her as an icon of democracy. There is no doubt about that. Whenever I think of Tita Cory, not only do I see a mother, intervening for the good of the nation, I guess in the long course of things, she has become the best example of what an enlightened and modest leader should emulate.

It's still too early to tell what the future holds for her. But now that she is suffering. Now that her future remains uncertain. My only regret is that of all the times I've been free to join her non-violent crusades - in Makati, Greenhills or elsewhere, I chose to be a fence-sitter.

An apathetic big boy to the realities of the nation.

And as much as I would like to be optimistic about her health, there remain a possibility that her pro-active days are nearing over.

No comments: