Thursday, March 18, 2004

Calling From Powerflex

Just got home from the gym. I never thought that weight training would be a very excruciating experience. Marbin, my apathetic gym instructor told me to warm up on a stationary bike for 15 minutes. Imagine the strain and the tension my legs got from the bike. When the warm-up was completed, I felt this gyrating sensation in my legs. And that was only the warm-up of my 7+ exercise program this evening.

All in all, I needed 3 sets with 15 reps for every exercise in my weight-training program. Most of the exercises were easy and less strenuous. I feel my fat burning especially when I did the crunches. Man! I was doing 15 reps when after I stopped doing the exercise, cramps suddenly hit my abs. It's like, I couldn't get up because I feel that my stomach is contracting. I told the sensation to my instructor, so we stopped the other abs exercises in the meantime.

The most difficult exercises I've done were those involving the arms, particularly the biceps/triceps area. The punishment was too much that I have to change my dumbell because of the strain. I was also worried that since the instructor was nowhere in sight, I might be doing the wrong thing. But just the same, I tried to complete the program despite its difficulty. After all, one thing I've learned from the other guys is that do not push the limits especially if you know that your body couldn't do it.

There are a lot of sights to see while I was in the gym. However, it doesn't attract my attention because I have a calling why I was there. With all honesty, ingget ako sa mga katawan nila pero yun lang, nothing more. Right now, I'm not so sure if I could commit to this pursuit but when I saw myself in the mirror while doing the exercises, I realized how big I had become. I lost interest to compete and make myself fishable when I started living a "committed" existence and in doing so, I forgot that I have a body and health and well-being to maintain.

Phanks was there the whole time during my first gym training this evening. He's the one really pushing me to trim down (because he said that he'll become "wilder" if he sees me naked with a better figure). But just the same, I appreciate his support for this endeavor. Really, nobody showed me this much support for such an activity except my buddy.

Hopefully, I could go back to the place on Saturday to burn whatever calories I added when I got home after this evening's training. It's been 4 years since the last time I took weight training seriously.

And looking at the mirror, I guess it would make me realize how important it is to take this opportunity very seriously.

No comments: