Saturday, March 13, 2004

Dreams of Becoming a Gym Bunny

And so I went to Fitness First this afternoon and saw the many beautiful people who frequented that place. Gyms are said to be gay churches... and no wonder, I was not surprised that my PLUdar has gone haywire.

Ms Tina, the nice lady who called me yesterday inviting me for free training, asked me to sign up a lot of documents even before I ever got a tour of the place.

"Sabi ko na nga ba eh, wala na akong kawala dito eh. It's all or nothing pare, you're part of the stereotype na".

After 30 minutes of chatting, giving an introduction, and other vital information about myself, she gave me a tour of the place. Going from room to room, Shyet! Ang laki talaga ng FF! They have this movie room with a lot of stationary bikes. The guide told me that the room is for those gym people who get easily bored doing their routine. Nga naman, you're in a place where your main objective is to burn fats then you'll even end up pampering yourself. I guess this is what you call multi-tasking. Nagtanggal ka na ng taba, me libreng movie ka pa! Ang tsalap siguro mag-stationary bike habang pinapanood mo yung Japanese Version ng The Ring. 

Next, she asked me to go to the men's room to put my things in the locker. Sheesh, kaya pala andami kong naririnig na sex stories about gym shower rooms eh pagkapasok na pagkapasok ko pa lang eh nagulat na ako sa sobrang laki ng place, in fact, kalahati ata ng buong ground floor eh men's room. My guide said that they even got a sauna inside, but when I saw a lot of naked guys flaunting their prized torsos around, I decided to simply put my things in the locker and went out of the room immediately, I don't want to imagine things...

---

We went up, to the main fitness room with all the gym equipment you could ever imagine - from treadmills to stationary bikes, to dumbells and stuff, and mind you mga tol, these toys are high tech. You could check your heartbeat, calories burned, etc. in a machine. The last time I used a treadmill, nadumihan pa yung kamay ko dahil sa kalawang, this time ibang klase tong sinubukan ko.

We also checked out the aerobics room where group exercises are done. Somehow, the room smells like pawis, yeah. It's warm and somewhat stinky, and the mirrors seem to be coated by body oils. I'm not good when doing synchronized movements. If ever, I wouldn't dare try to join the group inside.

Returning to the guests' lounge. Ms. Tina gave me the computation/pricelist of how much it would cost me just to apply here and become a member.

Punyeta! In the end, it would cost me an initial P3,500+ just to sign up. Hindi pa kasama dun yung mga bayarin ko every month. Talk about the price of being well-fit. Actually kaya naman talaga ng budget ko, However, my kuripot side tells me that I might not save my salary because of this.

---

Being in a high-end gym like Fitness First is part of my becoming-an-urbanite fantasy - and becoming a gym buff one day. Talk about enjoying the good life. However after seeing the cost, parang nagunaw ata ang lahat ng mga pangarap ko. I think this is too expensive and when I think about how it would leave me unprepared when the real emergency arrives, I think I cannot compromise my money for this.

In fact, I can get a decent gym for half the price. The place is fabulous - very interesting, but I have to consider my priorities.

After a brief demo of those machines, I decided to inform Ms. Tina that I have an "emergency meeting" at the office and have to leave early. Wish ko lang na hindi sana niya nahalata na umandar na naman ang pagiging kuripot ko kaya ako biglang umatras. Yesterday, Arrjae said the same thing - I consult daw muna niya sa "GIRLFRIEND" niya kung maggy-gym sha dun o hindi... What a very lame excuse. Sorry fwend. hihi.

The place is good actually, Ideal for guys who wanted to feel better about themselves. Anyway, who knows. I told them that I would return tomorrow. If I get a lot of encouragement at home (and when they can assure me in the office that they'll provide my 15k salary every month) tonight, I might, in the end, still consider joining that Fitness Center. Sayang naman, baka eto na lang ang iniintay ko.

Pero anyways, as of now... I'm still having doubts.

---

Toinks thanks for the initial inspiration! tuwa ako na you had a good clubbing experience last night. Labs na talaga kita.

No comments: