Friday, October 7, 2005

The Rampage of Divisoria

A chaotic, busy, with lots of dangerous elements and items at down-to-earth prices; where the materialistic world meets the masses; the fashion imitation centre of Manila; the hotpot of Chinoy chorvanelles rolled into one;

Thats Divisoria for me.

Thats where I went to this afternoon.

The truth is, I avoid going to that place except on Decembers since it's so hassle and haggard to shop out there. Imagine taking risks from holduppers and snatchers and bumping yourself with all sorts of people in exchange for finding items at prices you won't see elsewhere in the city.

And since I am in the mood to splurge on things that would further improve the image and tone of my room today, I decided to head there and practice my gay instinct in finding some objects that would be a fabulous addition to my room.

---

First stop. Tutuban Center.

I went to Divisoria without any money on my pocket. My fare came from my sister and the money that I used to buy a cigarette came from the coins that I collected after cleaning my room.

So I needed to stop by an ATM to withdraw some money from my coffers. The budget I alloted for this room make-over: P800.

After I have withdrawn my money, I immediately went to this boutique called Orignamura.
It sells household items imported directly from China at very very low prices.

I brought from this store a pair of big scissors, (so that I could cut my "hairs" without borrowing anyone else's scissors at home and also for other irrelevant uses... ) a rechargable flashlight (so that nobody would ever blame anyone who have forgotten to keep a stock of batteries at home and which I have serious doubts whether it would explode after recharging for several hours) and a lovely pica-pica bloody red plate with Chinese engravings on it (so that my toiletries would have a stylish place to sit on) for a measly sum of P280 pesos.

I was even tempted to buy other fabulous items which I could give as a gift on Christmas, but I thought that I should create a Christmas list first and clearing out a space in my room before embarking on such annual project once again.

Before I left the boutique, I even asked the Chinese cashier if more stocks would come in the following months in which she replied yes. So I guess that its one of the places where I would surely stop when my Christmas buying rush begins.

My next stop would be Papemelroti. Unfortunately, I have already checked out every floor of the Tutuban Central Cluster building yet no trace of the boutique was ever found. When I reached the front side of the building, I asked the information booth if they have such store there. There and then did I find out that no such store exist at all. The guards whom I previously asked didn't know the store so they lead me everywhere except there.

Tired and hungry, I went to Chowking to have my lunch and merienda at the same time. Soon after, I left the building after recieving a tip from someone who said that I may find the boxes I am looking for somewhere near Divisoria Mall.

So walk, I began.

---

Shortly before approaching Recto, I passed by this old lady who can't even raise her head. She was begging for money and since old ladies have always been my weakness. I told myself that it would be a good karma if I give all of my spare coins to her.

Then, as soon as the coins touched her wrinkled fingers I turned around and realized that the store behind me was actually selling plastic pots which I would be needing for the plants I bought last week.

Immediately, I asked the saleslady to show me the cheapest medium-sized pot they got. Seconds later, this friendly saleslady showed me a plastic pot that only cost P15 pesos! That's a huge savings compared to the pots my mom bought at Surplus Shop the last time we were there.

So in gratitude for the old lady who lead me to one of my objectives today, I happly parted her with a twenty pesos so that she could return to her nook and call it a day.

---

As I was trying to sort my way going to Divisoria Mall. I stumbled upon this very small store located at this old, decrypt building hidden from the view of every passersby by an assortment of stalls that sells blouses at P50 pesos, plasticwares made from devirginized materials and kalye food that will surely upset a borgeouis' stomach.

Anyway, what brought me to that store was this nice plastic box I saw on their display that could replace the shoebox where I kept my chorva items near the door. Another reason was I believed that they could lead me to the place where I could find the boxes I was looking for.

At first, I was hesitant to buy the plastic box that caught my attention. However, when I saw a lovely color black plastic hobby kit on their display and found out that it only costed P130 pesos, I immediately bought it.

In exchange for my purchase, the Chinese guy from the cashier pointed out a street called Juan Luna. He said that I may find what I am looking for in that street.

--tobecontinued--

No comments: