Tuesday, October 4, 2005

The War Ends

Seven days had passed before the boss finally talked to me.

It was sunday morning. He came early and checked out how is our operations that day. After talking to the team leader, he went to my cubicle and asked me how is our Aussie client doing. Since we have recieved a lot of volume that week, I proudly told him that thrice I had to ask for assistance from some of my colleagues just to reinforce ourselves with the massive flow of messages from that account alone.

Well he was happy and quite satisfied with my report. If he had checked my time card while I was off, he would find out that I fulfilled what I told him on my apology letter. I was never late the whole time he was away. Aside from that, I have seen my output improve after he got mad at me last week.

I hope that those overhauls would finally convince him that I have a good and efficient side after all.

And the challenge for me is how to maintain it... now that I am beginning to show the best of me.

---

This morning, I was so lazy to get up that the thoughts of working at home came over me again. But for some reasons, I just took off my shirt, changed my undies, went to the bathroom to wash my face and in 10 minutes I found myself dragging my ass off work.

The morning breeze was quite freezing, the jeep I rode on was literally flying on the road. The sidewalks is still clean, signs that people are still slumbering. I arrived at work earlier than usual. And the night shift guys were all chilling out. As if there's no work in sight.

Minutes later, my colleagues have arrived. I dreaded this day for I would share the same shift with Rica Paralejo again. Mami Athena has her off today so I was thinking... I have to fend for my self once again.

Rica logged on to our local chat server, he was asking everyone to add his contact on their MSNs. A colleague told me why was he asked. I told him that maybe he was power-tripping or something.

Suddenly, our major client abroad encountered some problems and panic ensued at the office. There no work, thats what my officemates said and I thought all along that Rica was on the other side of the cubicle.

But I found out that he was not there.

Happy Day for me eh?

---

Eventually he called the office to talk to me.

He was complaining about why we were not answering. I told him that the clients server just went down and we were having problems with the system.

Our conversation ends there. After that, I called the boss to inform him of the problem. Seems like he was familiar with it cause he didn't ask us to move to the internet cafe where we used to work in case our servers broke down.

Minutes later, he sent a message to me through MSN. He was deeply grateful that I told him what had happened. Maybe he wasn't expecting that I would take lead of the office since this situation never happened before.

Then and then, I realized that I am the man in-charge of the office operations today. Imagine, from being a black sheep who was clinging at the edge of forever, I was catapulted to being the man I am today.

---

After we have resolved the problems here at the office. Our Admin Manager at the security agency called me on my cellphone.

My first reaction was dread because it is quite unsual for a big-time manager to call you at 7 am in the morning for some pleasant chat.

So I know its an emergency and I have to face it head on.

Fortunately he called me not because of company matters. Actually the thought of it alone wanna makes me claw my eyes out. Nothing dreaded me more than to hear a very serious and life-threatening news about our last surviving business.

It was about his sibling who suffered a stroke. He was requesting if I could help him transfer the patient from Makati Med to PGH since we are quite familiar with PGHs bureaucracy.

Realizing that this is an opportunity for me to show my empathy and concern to our own employees, I wasted no time to call my aunt... although nothing makes me feel uncomfortable than to ask favors to her.

Because she had already done so much for us, that I feel that not in this lifetime could we ever repay her for her kindness. Sometimes, my sister was even complaining to me why I had become such a "tuta" to her already.

You see, if there's one reason why I became a homo it's because of her. She's so successful and peaceful in life that I began to believe that I should be like her when I grow old. I just like to follow her life's model.

Anyway, I handled the situation quite poorly, my aunt got quite irritated at me cause I was so damn lousy in coordinating things between her and our Admin manager. But with God's mercy I guess, I did what I am asked to do. Eventually she told me to tell the Admin Manager to talk to her directly.

Minutes later, the admin manager sent me an SMS informing me that everything is already okay.

---

Things happened very fast and I guess it re-energized me from my lazy mood this morning. Imagine, in less than an hour, I dealt with three problems head on.

Officially the cold war between me and my boss has finally ended, despite the fact that he didn't respond to my apology letter... which I quite resented. The non-speaking terms between me and the head and caretaker of our kingdom has also thawed, at least I can comfortably visit our company from now on.

I hope these things would lead to better possibilities. Now, I can rest back and return to the laid back job I have to do this morning.

No comments: