Saturday, October 1, 2005

Walang Himala

Honestly, I don't know how would I feel with regards to what GMA is doing to this country.

On one side, I feel that she is slowly steering us towards authoritarian rule; such as her proclamation of Executive Order 464 which declares that all government official under the Chief Executive should ask permission first to Malacanang before appearing in any legislative inquiry or caucus. Of course, we know how many men have lost their jobs by simply disobeying this command.

The other one was barring everyone from protesting (read: against the government) on the streets. Well, the president said that she would enforce strict control over such activites because "it disrupts the people who wanted to have a normal, routinary and almost drone-like life."

When I first heard the news on the radio, my first impulse was to be angry. We're a democratic country right? And we are entitled to express our own opinions, voice out our own disappointments, and answer to our own accountability. What she is doing is curtailing it all.

My sister's "activitities" has become more frequent too this past few weeks. There were nights when I would just nag at the house (instead of my mom) and complains why my little sister is allowed to go home late when I won't be allowed to have two straight night of partying. Of course I am just joking, what I am furious about is the fact that I freak out when I remember the above proclamation of Malacanang.

I'm just afraid for my sister.

Because I know, nobody would protect us anymore if something stupid happens.

---

Indeed, this is an outrage.

But when I think of the millions of Pinoys who quietly earns for a living, the thousands of employees who works for outsourcing and BPO companies; Whenever I think and realize that we're connected in this international market web we call Globalization,

I feel that something inside me says that what GMA is doing somehow makes sense.

Just imagine the politics here in the country, the never ending political assasination and counter political attacks, the pathetic habit of our lawmakers of trivializing everything rather than debating new laws that would improve the lives of everyone. And the chest-thumping of retired generals who makes careless claims that "kapag hindi umalis sa pwisto si Ge-eM-Ahhy, dadanak ang dugo sa kalsada." You know, all those bullshits.

Of course, those who are vocal in opposing GMA wouldn't understand my feelings. But if you're working your ass to keep your family afloat. If you are already sick and tired of the never-ending cycle of politics here in the country and If you are already disgusted at how the opposition takes advantage of every issue and every political faction and masses available to drive their agenda.

You would think that somehow, a little but obvious control, force and discipline would be needed to make us all behave - especially the ones who makes a lot of noise, but little essence at all.

*photo courtesy of Inq7.net

No comments: