Sunday, April 20, 2008

Frontliners

Manaani are also common in the ranks of scout pilots and are always eager to volunteer when it's time to fly an experimental craft: being the first to see anything new and different is a hunger that still burns deep in their blood.

- Kiith Manaan, Homeworld PC Game

---

The sun rises on the urban smog of Pasay when I first showed up for my third job as an internet researcher for a local outsourcing company. It was a few years ago and I was told in my interview that the company will have a new account that the executives of the company were never familiar of. In the interview, I knew that my knowledge of the search engines will land me the position. But during the hands-on, we found out that the system imposed by the client challenged even the most experienced among us.

The job had put our nerves under perpetual pressure. We were divided into two teams. The first was responsible for locating potential non-government agencies on the internet to be approved and later added to the client's database. The other was tasked to update the database using the reply forms sent by the client. This team was expected, with machine precision to fill out every data on the updated form found on our computers. Understaffed and swamped with paperwork, there were several occasions when we were asked to do a 16-hour shift just to beat the client's deadline. Eager to impress the new masters, my company exhausted whatever reserves it had - with us rookies suffering first before we could adopt to their harsh corporate environment.

I was able to adopt in three weeks. I had no choice but to nod and accept their way of running things, since we only had a very limited window of adjustment. Some of my team mates, who were pulled out from other departments were out of my league. They have lived through seventh hell and were pretty happy with it. The other rookies like me complained at first but when the elders began to reach out to them, they immediately embraced our job.

I was doing well with my job, but I was obviously unhappy with my company. Had it not been for the distinction of being the lead internet researcher, I would have submitted my resignation letter shortly after Christmas. I also understood that my position was very important for the survival of the project. Therefore, no matter how many times I complained about the company's unbearable working conditions, I simply had to weather everything until the project could stand on its own. It was a sacrifice I should have been prepared to accept the moment I signed up for the job.

That was until my dad suddenly "moved on."

---

Ilang taon sa panibago kong buhay.

Nabigyan ng pagkakataon ang kumpanyang pinagtratrabahuhan ko na lalo pang lumago sa pagpasok ng isang bago at napakalaking account sa amin. Bahagi ng kasunduan sa pagitan ng aking kumpanya at ng kliyente ang panimulang turn-over ng dalawang account kung saan karanasan na ang sumanay sa akin. Bilang isa sa pinakamatagal na manggagawa sa kumpanya, napili ako bilang maging isa sa mga frontliners para sa bagong account. Noong briefing na naganap isang linggo na ang nakakaraan, paulit-ulit na pinaalala ng trainer na nakasalalay sa aming husay ang pagpasok ng iba pang mga account sa kumpanya.

Sakaling kami'y magtagumpay dito, hindi lamang kami ang makikinabang kundi pati rin ang iba pa naming mga kasamahan na sa ngayo'y nag-aabang ng mga account na maaring magpalaki ng kanilang sweldo.

There's so much at stake, and when I think about it, its enormousness makes me tremble.

Inamin sa akin ni Princess na kinakabahan siya sa bagong assignment. Ganun rin ang pakiramdam ko matapos ang aming briefing.

Ngunit gaya sa isang palabas sa sine kung saan narealize ng mandirigma ang halaga ng kanyang bahagi bago ito sumugod sa digmaan, ang awakening sa akin ay naganap rin kinagabihan ng aming briefing.

Kasama ang trainer, inaya kami ng boss sa isang munting bonding matapos ang briefing ng mga panggabi sa aming kumpanya. Nagkataon lang ang aking pagsama sapagkat noong nalaman ko na uuwi mag-isa ang trainer noong gabing yun, nagpasya akong hintayin siya't ihatid pauwi.

After all, sino bang anak-anakan ang hahayaan ang kanyang nanay-nanayan na umuwi mag-isa ng hatinggabi?

Sa inuman, silang dalawa ang nagkwentuhan samantalang ako naman ay mataimtim na nakinig sa kanilang usapan. Marami akong nalaman, na bilang isang mangagawa lamang ay hindi ko na dapat marinig pa. Ngunit noong gabing iyon, ipinaramdam nila sa akin kung gaano ako kabahagi ng kumpanya. Bilang isa sa mga pioneer dito, na-realize ko na malaki ang gagampanan kong role para sa ikatatagumpay ng account.

Nawala ang takot sa akin matapos ang aming inuman. Ito ay napalitan ng determinasyon na ibigay ang lahat para sa aming boss at sa aking nanay-nanayan na naniniwala sa aking kakayahan.

---

My dad passed away six months after the project started running in my previous company.

In his passing, sweeping changes must be made in order to save whatever remaining fortunes he had accumulated during his lifetime. Being the eldest heir to my father, I had to take his seat, accept the responsibilities he left and resign in my company.

I had to move on and chart my own life.

Yet, despite my permanent absence the project succeeded.

Years after I've left, I returned to pay them a visit. My immediate supervisor was the person who accommodated me and in our conversation, she told me that they would not have made it if not for the methods I adopted when I was still working with them.

"It was your Wikipedia that our researchers are using now to seek new candidate organizations."

My visit happened at a time I was just starting in my present company. In those days, I was busy looking for a new job after my conflict with my supervisor drove me to the brink of resigning.

The trainer then was just a regular employee like me.

But now that we're in the forefront of changes in the same company I almost ditched before, this gentle reminder - this history of being in the front lines whenever a task has been assigned to me may be a source of strength to inspire me to succeed.

I have done it before and I can do it again.

And with the setbacks today threatening to jeopardize the start-up, I'm still looking forward to seeing the battlefield tomorrow.

Come hell or high waters, I am ready.

---

From nearly wanting to kill yourself because you fell asleep during a crucial point while doing temporary night shift duty (and getting screamed at over the phone bwahahaha) to your "Martir ng Golgotha" days with Rica and thinking long and hard about resigning... to being the darling of the creme de la creme... aba, aba, aba! :D

take a bow, bebe... take a bow :)

- Deracinee, Twitter Blog | The Office Life

No comments: