Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Vamos De Madrid



---

Frankly, I don't know what to make out of this YouTube video clip I found from Siege's Livejournal.

Is it a racial slur? I can't say exactly.

Is it like telling us straight to our faces that Madrid has a Metro and since we provincials were awestruck by it, we should construct a Metro of our own? A weak argument. We have an LRT Purple Line to brag about.

Besides, why should we cram ourselves in their tiny coaches when ours are twice bigger than theirs?

Despite the subtle mockery this ad appears to convey, I honestly find it very amusing. Not only do I find the barrio scene very refreshing, (because I haven't seen one in ages!) the attempts of the Spanish to portray Filipinos as unsophisticated rural folks is quite humbling.

Others will find this very offensive. But since I know myself more than the creators of the advertisement do, then I consider this ad something that would momentarily suspend my disbelief.

Watch it, laugh about it, then move on. Go back to the real life.

No comments: