Thursday, April 24, 2008

Notes From The Battlefront

Starlog 0001 082404

It's past 1 o' clock in the morning and I'm still here in the office.

My shift had ended several hours ago. But since we had started the new service this evening, everyone in the top management is busy addressing the challenges of our new account. As of this writing, Mami Athena is busy shuttling from the boss' office to where the two graveyard colleagues are seated. She's the chief coordinator of this project and being second to the boss, her meticulousness and knowledge of the account is required to make everything smooth sailing.

The boss is at his small office, a few steps away from where my temporary station is. He is the one talking to the clients as Mami throws him all problems that comes up with the service. To keep their frustration at bay, they poke fun at everything - even to the point of using their imagination to picture what our foreign counterparts look like. Everyone seems to be in the jovial mood especially after the boss threw a mini-party last midnight to welcome the new account. It would be a long night so he must make sure that everyone's spirits remain sky-high.

I don't know what my role is with the whole operation. I shouldn't be here in the first place. But since I decided to self-style myself as the front-liner, I felt that its my duty to stay and observe while my colleagues work out the solutions posed by the new project. Besides, Princess is counting on me to give him the primer before he works with the account in the morning. I'm sure that he would find the work strangely familiar but the interface - with all its technicalities would give him some initial headache before he gets familiar with the system.

The account is something we haven't seen before. But with everyone pouring their energies to make this project work, I am confident that we would succeed in the end. There is much at stake, now that we're pretty aware that we're working on a huge account. With the company on the crossroads, I don't want to be left out while others are sweating just to shape a brighter future for everyone.

It's not my habit to write double entries in a single day, but this is history we are making. In a few months - or years, when we succeed in this endeavor, I would like to look back on this entry just to savor this moment when we're all struggling.

We will survive by our wits and experience in handling this kind of service, and in the face of new colleagues that would come and make our little family swell one day, I would be very honored to retell this story of our beginnings and how we're able to overcome it as a family.

I will surely miss this night.

For when I start my shift tomorrow, I know, everything will just be happily ordinary.

No comments: