Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The End Is The Beginning

The warm air permeates with the scent of burning cogon. It must have been carried away by the wind from places I do not know. On quiet nights like this, I would sneak out of the house, tip-toeing from my room to the door that leads into the driveway. Occasionally, my bold attempts to commune with the night would be foiled by my sister, who would in turn report my post-midnight activities to our mother. Mom would then give me a spat of sermon telling me this and that, and that I should be ashamed of myself from sneaking out at night. She would tell me the latest senseless murders she heard in the news and remind me of how dangerous the streets have become.

After she made me feel guilty of my attempts at exercising my freedom, I would return to my room to watch Nickolodeon till I fall asleep.

Yet, on some lucky nights, my sneak out attempt would bear fruits. I would dash towards 7-11, which is just a few blocks away from my place to buy some chips, soda and a stick of Marlboro from a cigarette vendor. Crossing the street, the speeding container trucks would remind me of why my mother gets angry when I go out at night. The pedicab drivers are all sleeping beside their bikes, but the Ronda Patrol - the gays in the neighborhood are still doing their last rounds before the real Baranggay Tanods order them to disperse and go home.

When I arrive back to my place, I would walk around the compound and light the cigarette I brought from the vendor. Looking above, a few stars lit the night sky. Remembering my last trip to Isabela over four years ago, that same night sky I am looking at was blazing with stars. How city lights have changed our skies. Since its late and everyone is sleeping, the narrow compound driveway is all mine to enjoy. I bask in the serenity of my surroundings with only the neighbor's AC unit humming from across my room's windows.

After having my fill of nicotine smoke and burning Cogon grass courtesy of the west-bound breeze, I would tip-toe back to my room to try and get some sleep. It's past 3 in the morning and the neighbor's cocks start crowing at this time of the night. When I wake up tomorrow at noon, a new day would greet me.

Gone are the day offs spent in school listening to the teacher and hiding from my classmates who would force me at gunpoint to join their night-outs after class.

Gone are the weeks chained to a life of school, gym and work. God, how many times I asked myself if there's a better life out there than my boring routine.

For after six months of slaving myself to my calling, school vacation has arrived. This time, I'd be the one calling the shots during my rest days.

This time, I'd catch up on life that was denied to me when I began working in the afternoon shift.

Hooray for me.

No comments: