Monday, April 28, 2008

Swinger State

It was a fatal mistake that of all the ungodly hours I spent every night, I decided to engage in a Babylon 5 DVD marathon last night. For in less than two hours after I had gone to sleep, I was rudely awakened by an emergency call from the office this morning.

The person who called was our portly lesbian assistant team leader. Apparently, the operator in my account from their shift felt that there was a need for him to arrive at fashionably late manner, only that, his plans did not fall on anyone's ear.

As a result, I was humbly asked to report for work.

Knowing that my presence - any operator's presence was needed for that account. I immediately got out of bed, brushed my teeth and did my morning rituals at breakneck speed. Every time it happened, I get denied to at least take a bath, or even have a leisurely walk from home going to the main street. The moment I leave the house, it's always a mad rush to get the fastest cab going to the office.

The operator in question eventually arrived just in time for my cab to stop in front of the building. At first, the ATL said that there's no need for me to go to report. However, since I was already there and it's impossible for me to get some sleep after my adrenalin had already kicked off, I decided to time in even if my presence is not needed anymore.

I won't simply torment myself spending my waking hours for more than 20 hours.

Fortunately, even in my worst lethargic state, I could respond with much skill to the questions being thrown to us by our client's users. My account partner was very much awake, but the initial slowness of his response would have gotten us into more trouble, had I not been there to provide him with support.

I did well for most of the hours I was half-awake. But as an organic lifeform that requires rest. My system bogged down just a few hours before our shift had ended. Right when everyone was busy catching up with their daily quotas, I was there sleeping peacefully on my chair.

---

This is not the first time I was asked to do a sacrifice for our new account.

The last time it happened, it was Mami who personally asked me to assist Princess to help him with the account. It was my day-off then, but work required that I should be in the office.

A few lifetimes before and I would have bitterly complained of my situation. After all, no one in his right mind would ever love to trade places with me - especially when that person finds out that I am technically on-call 24 hours a day.

But what can I say, the office has become the extension of my room. Even the HR people would answer for me every time a colleague would ask why I'm in the office when it's not my time yet for my shift. "Dito na ang bahay niyan. Kulang na lang na magdala yan ng kumot para pwede na niyang gawing bedroom yung isang kwarto." They would laugh and I would just smile at them before going back to my station, which is located at the far end of the floor.

Blame my front-liner principle for my willingness to spend long hours at work - even if my presence is not needed. Perhaps, I've taught myself to be persistent enough for this new account to grow and prosper under a selected individuals personally picked by the management itself.

I just can't let them down. That's all.

And I would not mind showing up in any shift, if it would help the company effectively comply to our new client's demands.

I just hope that in the long course of time, my personal sacrifices would not go in vain.

We have come this far and I would not want to see things crumble knowing that I could have done something;

anything for the only workplace I have grown to see as my second home.

---

btw, he-whose-name-must-not-be-mentioned (lol) does think much of you. he said to me "Di ba Jay can handle either one of these new, demanding accounts?"

I nod so much, feeling ko ako 'yung aso na display sa kotse, 'yung tango nang tango ever eternally. bwahahaha

He goes "Yes, he can. I know how good he is as an employee. Very reliable, very much at ease and skilled in the job. We're on the same page about him."

Deracinee
Twitter Blog|The Office Life

No comments: