Thursday, April 17, 2008

When Joms Talks of American Idol

I admitted a few entries ago that I am never a Mariah Carey fan.

And I admitted to Tripper a few inuman sessions ago that the subject American Idol will make me fall asleep. I just can't relate to it, especially when people around me starts talking about David Archuleta and how gay his performance is.

However, when an aspiring rockstar who is a contestant in American Idol suddenly performs a cover of a Mariah song.

Then and only then did the reality show got my attention.



It isn't my idea to write an entry about American Idol. But Makmak's well-written review about the Mariah Carey Week that was held some days ago suddenly caught my interest. I began reading the entire entry and for the first time, I related to what my other PLU friends were talking about during our little Saturday get-together.

The last time I've heard about David Cook was through Dodong. He said that he's one of his bet this season. That was all he said and then we proceeded to talk about another topic. But when Makmak wrote that among the idols, he took the greatest risk by doing a cover version of Always Be My Baby and got away with it, I immediately went to YouTube to see what Cook exactly did.

In fairness, I was stunned by his performance.

Because if he sucked, I won't write an entry about him.

Cook's version indeed reminded me of the song I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing by Aerosmith. The guitar intro was a dead giveaway that the performer is a rock artist. The harmonic accompaniment, especially the violin orchestra made the entire performance appear smooth and dramatic. Finally, the three back-up female singers, who's crucial importance allowed Cook to build up his voice for a final climax also served as a dampener to Cook's powerful vocals.

Jericho once made a comment asking me the songs I would like to make birit if given a chance to sing a song. I replied in his comment that the only songs I'd be able to sing should at least be in the same vocal range like those of Alex Band of The Calling.

But if I was gifted with a stronger vocal chords like those of David Cook's. I wouldn't mind making a birit like what he did. It was so impressive, that for a YouTube second, I was drawn not only to Mariah Carey, but to American Idol as well.

No comments: